The Astro-Physics 6" Eagle Folding Pier is a versatile work-of-art as well as a totally practical tool for the advanced imager. The one-piece assembly sets up quickly in the field and allows adjustment of pier height, leveling of the mount, and eases the process of polar alignment. Consider this pier for your 400, 600E, Mach1GTO and Mach2GTO mounts.
The practical height range of the pier is 24" to 36". Adjustment is made by placement of the included extension and by moving the legs in toward the center. Adding the optional 4” or 8" Extension that attaches to the top of the pier gives a total practical height of up to 44".
Versatility and Flexibility
The 6" Eagle is a breeze to set up and adjust. Large comfortable hand knobs make the whole process tool-free!
To set up or adjust, simply loosen the 3 Leg Adjustment Knobs to spread the legs apart or fold them in. Move the legs in and out from the 6" Eagle's center column to fine tune the pier's height and to level the assembly if the ground is uneven. Then, re-tighten the knobs. The 6" Eagle's feet articulate to adjust to the terrain.
To change the pier height, remove the three machined knobs that attach the extension to the bottom of the pier’s central column and simply re-attach the extension to the top of the pier. It’s that easy! An optional 4” or 8” extension can be added for increased height when observing with longer refractors. The 6" Eagle can be adjusted as follows:
- Your mounting will have an additional 30 degrees of azimuth adjustment in the Pier Adapter Slots
- This will greatly speed up rough polar alignment
- Pier leg uneven ground adjustment range: 4" over a 36" distance, or 6.5 degrees of slope (while maintaining a minimum distance of 18" from the center of the pier to each foot)
- Pier leg maximum spread: 48" diameter circle (maximum stability)
- Pier leg minimum recommended spread: 36" diameter circle (minimum stability)
- Pier height min: 24"
- Pier height max: 36" (with legs brought in to 36" diameter circle); 32" (with legs spread to 48" diameter circle)
- Pier height max with 8" Extension (sold separately): 44" (with legs brought in to 36" diameter circle); 40" (with legs spread to 48" diameter circle)
- Pier measurements folded: 12" diameter x 32" length
- Pier weight: 28 lb. (12.7 kg)
Accessories for your 6” Eagle Folding Pier – Make your DREAM SETUP
Of course, this brilliant package wouldn't be complete without the little extras that allow you to customize the 6" Eagle for your own special needs and circumstances. Astro-Physics accessory package includes these versatile options:
- 4” Extension (EAGLE6E4)
- 8” Extension (EAGLE6E8)
- Single Level Support Bar (TRAYSB1)
- Bi-Level Support Bar (TRAYSB)
- 6" Accessory Tray (TRAY06)
- 6" Eyepiece Accessory Tray (TRAY06H)
- Control Box Adapter (CBAPT) for attaching your GTOCP2, GTOCP3 or GTOCP4 Control Box directly to your 6"
Please reference the following guidelines for using accessories with your 6" Eagle and this page with examples of different setups.