About the QSI 683 WSG CCD Camera
The QSI 683wsg CCD camera employs the popular 8.3-megapixel Kodak (now TrueSense) full-frame CCD imaging sensor. The KAF-8300 offers a large field of view in cameras using standard 1.25" filters. The 5.4um pixel size provides extremely high resolution. The sensor uses true two-phase charge transfer technology with a transparent gate that significantly increases optical response compared to traditional front illuminated full-frame sensors. The superb imaging performance of the 683 WSG camera is wrapped in an attractive, compact design with outstanding power efficiency and investment protecting upgradeability. The refined engineering and impressive fit, finish, and attention to detail will surpass your highest expectations. The QSI 683wsg camera system is supported by industry-leading astronomy and microscopy image acquisition software, and a full camera control API is available for creating custom Windows or Linux applications.
QSI 683WSG CCD Camera Highlights
- The QSI 683 camera comes with a TrueSense KAF-8300 sensor, with 8.3MP and a peak QE of 60%
- All WSG models include an Integrated Guider Port (IGP).
- A 5-Position Color Filter Wheel comes ready for your threaded 1.25" filters
High-speed USB 2.0 with 16-bit output
- Dual read rates of 800kHz and 8MHz with virtually undetectable read noise
- Electronic shutter speeds to 100 microseconds
- Internal, even-illumination mechanical shutter for dark & bias frames
- Intelligent, programmable two-stage TEC cooling to 45C below ambient
- ASCOM-compatible Windows COM API
- Linux drivers and API
About the KAF-8300 Imaging Sensor
The QSI 683wsg camera employs a Kodak KAF-8300 full-frame CCD image sensor with micro-lensing technology. The KAF-8300 has excellent quantum efficiency between 350nm and 1000nm with a peak QE of 57%. Low dark current and high pixel charge capacity result in a dynamic range exceeding 70db. The sensor has anti-blooming protection and a fast electronic shutter. Microlenses cover the surface of the CCD to focus the light into each 5.4nm pixel, thereby increasing the optical response.
Kodak KAF-8300 Specifications
- CCD Architecture: Full Frame
- Micro-lensing: Yes
- Anti-Blooming: Yes - 1000x suppression
- Imager Size: 17.96 mm Wide x 13.52 mm High
- Pixel Array: 3326 x 2507 active pixels
- Total Number of Pixels: 8.3 megapixels
- Pixel Size: 5.4um x 5.4um
- Quantum Efficiency: Peak: 57%, 400nm 38%
- Dark Current Doubling: 5.8 degrees C
- Intrinsic Read Noise: 8 electrons RMS
- Dynamic Range: 70db
About QSI Two-Stage TEC Cooling
The QSI 683wsg has a very efficient custom 2-stage thermoelectric cooler (TEC) subsystem. Intelligent, programmable cooling fans are integrated into the rear of the camera body to remove the heat generated by the cooler. Typically, forced air cooling lowers the regulated CCD temperature by up to 45 degrees C below ambient utilizing 85% power. Tight +/- 0.1 degree C temperature regulation is maintained at temperature settings of 10 degrees C below ambient and lower. A slim liquid heat exchanger (sold separately) can be attached to the rear of the camera body to increase the cooling further, up to 55 degrees C below the temperature of the circulating fluid.
The cooled CCD image sensor is positioned in a hermetically sealed environmental chamber and covered with an anti-reflection precision optical window. The sealed chamber is purged with an ultra-dry noble gas to increase heat conduction and eliminate the possibility of frost forming inside the chamber. To extend the useful period before re-purging is required, a user-rechargeable micro-sieve desiccant is employed to scavenge water molecules that enter the chamber. It is located behind a sub-micron, gas-permeable membrane to prevent particulate contamination of the CCD chamber.
QSI Integrated Guide Port WSG Upgrade
The QSI 600 Series WSG cameras provide a solution to the problems normally associated with guiding by integrating a Guider Port directly into the camera body. The pick-off prism is designed to sit in front of the filters so that you will always have all the star's light available for guiding.