- Pixel Array: 3096 x 2080
- Pixel Size: 2.4 Microns
- Interface: USB 3.0
- Great value and highly versatile full color CMOS camera
ZWO ASI 178 Color CMOS Telescope Camera
This ZWO ASI178MC Astronomy Camera includes the back illuminated 6.4M resolution Sony IMX178 image sensor. This 1/1.8 inch CMOS sensor has a 3096 x 2080 pixel array and a 2.4 micrometer square pixel size. With a 14-bit ADC, extremely low read noise of 2.2e, and superior sensitivity combine to make the ZWO ASI178MC an excellent camera for both astronomy and microscopy.
Sony IMX178 CMOS Sensor Features:
- The Sony IMX178 back illuminated CMOS image sensor offers high sensitivity, resolution and dynamic range.
- The IMX185 is an "Exmor R" sensor with notably improved imaging features, including sensitivity and low read noise, by correcting the basic structure of "Exmor" adopted column parallel A/D converter to back illuminated type.
- The IMX178 is a Sony STARVIS sensor and has a sensitivity of 2000mV+ per 1 micron square (when imaging with a 706 cd/m2 light source, f/5.6 in 1 second accumulation correspondent), and provides superior image quality in the visible and near IR light regions.
- 14-bit output helps achieve high dynamic range which lessened quantization noise and hidden dark random noise. This facilitates clear image quality in light and dark areas, even with high contrast imaging targets.
- Everything required to control your ZWO Astronomy Camera is readily available at the ZWO website.
ZWO ASI178MC Color Astronomy Camera Specifications:
- Sensor: 1/1.8-inch CMOS IMX178
- Resolution: 6.4 Mega Pixels
- Pixel Array: 3096 x 2080
- Pixel Size: 2.4 micrometer x 2.4 micrometer
- Sensor Size: 7.4 mm x 5 mm
- Diagonal: 8.92 mm
- Exposure Range: 32 microseconds to 1,000 seconds
- ROI: Supported
- ST4 Guider Port: Yes
- Focus Distance to Sensor: 12.5 mm
- Shutter Type: Rolling Shutter
- Window: IR-Cut
- Operating System Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
- Interface: USB 3.0/ USB 2.0
- Bit rate: 14-bit output (14-bit ADC)
- Adapter: 2-inch to 1.25-inch (M42x0.75)
- Dimensions: 62 mm x 36 mm
- Weight: 4.23-ounces (without lens)
- Working Temperature: Neg.5-degrees C to Neg.45-degrees C
- Working Relative Humidity: 20-percent to 80-percent
- Storage Relative Humidity: 20-degrees to 95-degrees
- ZWO ASI178MM or ASI178MC Camera Body
- 2 m long ST4 guider cable
- 1.25-inch Cover
- M42/ 1.25-inch T-Mount
- 2 m long USB3.0 cable
- Driver and Extra Software CD (Mac, PC, and Linux Compatible)
Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
Is the 2.5mm lens included ?
Yes, the fish-eye lens is included with the box with the camera.
How would this do with ha/solar?
For imaging the Sun, you will want the monochrome version of the camera for higher sensitivity and to ensure you will not be seeing the bayer matrix in your images (the Sun may look pixelated with a color camera).
How do you do dark frames with this camara
You would either need to cover the front of the telescope/lens that the camera is connected to temporarily, or you would need a filter wheel with an AK-DARK-1 "dark" filter occupying one of the filter slots. If you rotate the dark filter in front of the