The Sky Quality Meter-L measures how clear the night or site is. Compare the sky brightness at different sites with measured results! If you're a CCD use, you can make a correlation between the Unihedron SQM-L reading and when the background reaches some ADC level.
How to Use the Sky Quality Meter-L
- Keep track of the evolution of light pollution in your area.
- Set planetarium dome illumination to mimic the skies you are likely to experience elsewhere in the city.
- Monitor sky brightness through the night, night-to-night, and year-to-year.
- Determine which nights are the greatest for finding the faintest of lights.
- Calibrate the effect of sky brightness on qualitative measures such as the Bortle Scale.
- Investigate how sky brightness correlates with the solar cycle and month-to-month sunspot activity.
- Help provide local ground truth for future sky brightness prediction with the Clear Sky Clock.
Features of the Sky Quality Meter-L
- Receive audible signals while measurement is in progress.
- The sky brightness measure is displayed in visual magnitudes per square arcsecond.
- Its infrared blocking filter restricts measurement to its visual bandpass.
- Temperature is measured in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.
- The model number and serial number can be displayed with different button press sequences.
- Receive precision readings at even the darkest sites.
- Its power-saving features provide maximum battery life.
- Reverse battery protection.
Full List of Specifications for the Sky Quality Meter-L
- The Half-Width Half Maximum (HWHM) of the angular sensitivity is ~10 degrees.
- The Full-Width Half Maximum (FWHM) is then ~20 degrees.
- The sensitivity to a point source ~19 degrees off-axis is a factor of 10 lower than on-axis. A point source ~20 degrees and ~40 degrees off-axis would register 3.0 and 5.0 magnitudes fainter, respectively.
- Operates from 9V battery (included).
- Size: 3.6 x 2.6 x 1.1 inches
- Maximum light sampling time: 80 seconds
- Specifications are subject to change without notice.
OPT Product Number: UH-SQM-L