Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera
The StarShoot G3 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera by Orion:
Now you can discover the joy of taking gorgeous 16-bit pictures of deep space phenomena without spending an arm and a leg with the value-packed Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera! Our third generation affordable entry-level Orion StarShoot Deep Space Imaging Camera lets you take beautiful astrophotos without emptying your wallet, providing an ideal entry into astrophotography for any amateur astronomer.
The Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera has been totally redesigned with performance enhancing features and software that until now have been reserved for much more expensive CCD imagers. Built around the popular Sony interline ICX419AKL color CCD chip, which boasts a 752 x 582 pixel array with sensitive, 8.6 micron by 8.3 micron pixels, the StarShoot G3 is capable of detecting fine details in celestial objects. This bigger, 1/2-inch format CCD sensor usually isn't available in cameras priced as low as the StarShoot G3, and it provides a much larger imaging field of view than cameras equipped with 1/3-inch format chips so you can shoot more sky in far less time.
The Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera is the only camera in its price range to feature regulated thermoelectric cooling (TEC). Regulated thermoelectric cooling significantly improves astrophoto quality and reduces noise by enabling accurate dark frame acquisition. This regulated cooling feature is usually only found in much pricier cameras, and makes the StarShoot G3 a truly amazing value. The on-board TEC can cool the StarShoot G3 to a brisk 10-degrees C below ambient temperature so that noise is minimized in dark frames and exposures. The StarShoot G3 even features a small, vibration-free fan which assists the TEC to remove warm air and further optimize imaging results. These cooling features are usually only found on imaging cameras priced up to four times more expensive than the Orion StarShoot G3!
The Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera is capable of downloading a full frame image in approximately 2 seconds. A convenient sub-frame downloading feature allows for even speedier results. The StarShoot G3 has a wide exposure range so you can take extensive exposures of wispy deep space objects and then capture a quick snapshot of the Moon during the same imaging session.
Complete astrophotography imaging software is included with the StarShoot G3. Orion Camera Studio software makes it easy to control image capture through the camera, save results, process images, and share with family and friends! ASCOM drivers are also included for the Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera, allowing use with a number of other popular image processing programs, such as Nebulosity, ImagesPlus, and more.
Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera Features:
- The versatile Orion StarShoot G3 can also be used as a dedicated autoguider, with a direct ST-4 output conveniently built right into the camera body. Use the StarShoot G3 as a high-performance, low-noise 16-bit CCD autoguider with a high-end CCD imaging camera or DSLR attached to your imaging telescope for especially accurate tracking and precise results. Included ASCOM drivers allow you to use your choice of autoguiding software with the StarShoot G3, such as PHD Guiding, when using the camera as an autoguider. Autoguiding software is not included with the Orion StarShoot G3 Color Deep Space Imaging Camera.
- The Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera comes with a removable 1.25-inch nosepiece for easy attachment to virtually any telescope focuser. The nosepiece is threaded for use with 1.25-inch Orion imaging filters so you can easily enhance your images. Removing the 1.25-inch nosepiece reveals a built-in 2-inch nosepiece with standard T-threads for secure coupling of the camera to your imaging telescope and/or astrophotography accessories.
- Measuring just 3.4-inches in diameter with a depth of 1.85-inches, the compact Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera won't take up much space in your accessory case, and its small size makes it a great candidate for use with Fastar and Hyperstar imaging systems. The camera weighs just 12-ounces, so whether it is used as an imaging camera or autoguider, it will keep your astrophotography setup lean and mean.
- The StarShoot G3 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera connects to your computer via its USB 2.0 connection, and a 10-foot USB cable is included. A 10-foot auto-lighter power cable is also included to provide 12V DC power to the on-board cooling TEC when needed. The USB 2.0 connection provides enough power to the camera for non-cooled operation or for use as an autoguider. External power is only required for TEC operation.
- The Orion StarShoot G3 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera is our most affordable 16-bit, cooled CCD imaging camera. In fact, it is one of the most affordable feature-packed cameras available to astrophotographers today!
- A monochrome version of the StarShoot G3 will be available soon. The StarShoot G3 Monochrome Deep Space Imaging Camera (#OR-53083) shares the sophisticated cooling features and chip size of its color counterpart, but it is equipped with a monochrome sensor ideal for exploring more advanced tri-color and LRGB astrophotography pursuits. Stay tuned to our website for more information on this exciting addition to our popular StarShoot line of astrophotography cameras!
OPT Product Number: OR-53082
Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
Is the software MAC compatible?
Unfortunately, the software for this camera is only Windows compatible at this time.
what operating system does this use . and is it 32 bit and 84 bit. thanks
The Orion Starhoot G3 will work on both 32 and 64 bit systems
Hi, Can this refractor be mounted on the Vixen Porta II Altazimuth Mount Head ? Any adapters needed ?
The SV60 will mount directly to Vixen Porta II mount with no additional accessories needed.
Can I attach the bracket on a telescope?
This adapter is designed to attach to a photo tripod. It does not include any hardware to attach it to a telescope.
How much does the the xt8 weigh?
The weight of the optical tube is 20.8lbs, the mount is 21.2lbs, the total combined weight is 42lbs.
How much does the the xt8 weigh?
Mine showed up today in two boxes 28.3 for the base box 30.3 for the scope box or was that vise a versa?! LOL. It's movable .
Can this camera be used to image planets ?
Yes, this camera can be used on the planets. However, you would get better results using a dedicated solar system camera such as the Skyris 445: http://www.optcorp.com/celestron-skyris-445c.html
Can this camera be used to image planets ?
This link doew not work "404"
What's the part number (recommended) for an A/C power supply to operate the camera and have plenty of juice for Tec cooling?
The TEC cooler running full blast while the camera is exposing typically only pulls about 1 amp or so, so nearly any 2-2.5 Amp power supply for running a telescope mount will work. Orion recommends the OR-7294 AC adapter: https://www.optcorp.com/orion-2-
Hello. I have an LX200 telescope and I was wondering if there was some kind of eyepeice I need in order to take pictures with this camera. Without the eyepeice, there is no image to use as it is just a small donut shape. I can't just straight up put the c
No, you do not need to use an eyepiece with this camera, but you do need to adjust focus for the camera inward by about 15mm. The best option is to use an eyepiece and center a bright star near the target you want to image. Then, swap the in the camera,
Will this camera work with Windows 10?
Yes, indeed, it is! Per Orion: "The included software is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 Operating Systems (32 bit, 64 bit)."
Will this camera work with "Hyperstar"?
Yes, this will work with Hyperstar, but you will need to have a camera adapter for this specific camera to attach to the Hyperstar at the right distance. Due to the size of the camera body, this camera may cause some issues with blocking extra light on 6
Does this camera system work with a MACBOOK...?
Unfortunately, this camera will not work with a Mac computer, but we do sell several models that will work with your Macbook. Please contact us for details.