The Orion SkyScanner BL135mm Dobsonian Reflector Telescope Kit will reveal the Moon's crater-scarred surface and the Orion Nebula's gaseous ghostliness in amazing detail, not to mention hundreds of other celestial gems. The whole family can get in on the action from the very first night out with the SkyScanner BL135mm Dobsonian.
This beginning Dobsonian telescope blows away traditional starter telescopes, both in terms of image brightness and ease of use. It features a big 135mm (5.3") mirror that collects gobs of light, which accounts for those bright images we mentioned. The optical tube glides effortlessly on its sturdy Dobsonian base. It's so easy to operate - you just point the tube and view. There are no complicated gears, counterweights, locking levers, or tripod legs to deal with as there are with many beginner telescopes.
The 2" focuser can accept optional 2" eyepieces or 1.25" eyepieces, two of which are included. The 25mm Kellner eyepiece provides 44x magnification while the 10mm Plossl eyepiece delivers high-power 110x magnification. Keep the one you're not using in the convenient eyepiece rack. These eyepieces are a definite cut above the typical eyepieces found in most competing beginner telescopes. And their barrels are threaded to accept optional Orion 1.25" filters.
Zero in on your target with the red dot scope. Also included is a 3x Barlow lens, which triples the magnification of any eyepiece it's used with. It's a great tool for getting in tight on your observing target. To aid in viewing the Moon, we include the Orion MoonMap 260. It shows the locations and names of over 260 features on the Moon such as craters, mountains, valleys, and "seas".
Cut the Moon's glare and see more detail on its surface with the Orion 13% Transmission Moon Filter
This popular accessory reduces glare and boosts contrast so you can enjoy more-detailed views of lunar surface features. It blocks 87% of the Moon’s brightness to provide a more comfortable view and reveal subtle details. It's a neutral density filter that will not alter the natural color of the Moon either.
Learn "what's up" on any night with the Orion Star Target Planisphere
This handy star wheel makes it easy to see "what's up" in the night sky any night of the year. Dial in your local date and time and it shows you the locations of the constellations and deep-sky objects in the night sky. Use it to plan a stargazing session or see what time of year your favorite constellation will be visible. Designed for use in 30°-50° latitudes.
Read the included Orion Telescope Observer's Guide and start exploring
This 174-page guide for new telescope users will help you find, learn about, and view a variety of celestial objects. With a full page of information dedicated to each one, author Richard J. Bartlett leads you on a detailed tour of the night sky as he describes over 60 fascinating astronomical denizens that can easily be seen with a small telescope.
The base of the SkyScanner BL 135mm Dobsonian Reflector weighs 23 lbs. 10 oz. The optical tube weighs 8 lbs. 15 oz. The optical tube detaches from the base with two hand knobs, making for easier two-piece transport if desired. The base even has a convenient carry handle.
- Best for viewing: Brighter deep sky
- User level: Beginner
- Optical design: Reflector
- Optical diameter: 135mm
- Focal length: 1100mm
- Focal ratio: f/8.1
- Optics type: Spherical
- Glass material: Soda-lime plate
- Eyepieces: Kellner 25.0mm,Plossl 10.0mm (1.25")
- Magnification with included eyepieces: 44x, 110x
- Resolving power: 0.86arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification: 19x
- Highest useful magnification: 270x
- Highest theoretical magnification: 270x
- Limiting stellar magnitude: 13.4
- Finder scope: Reflex sight
- Secondary mirror obstruction: 38mm
- Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter: 28%
- Secondary mirror obstruction by area: 30%
- Mirror coatings/over-coatings: Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
- Mount type: Dobsonian
- Astro-imaging capability: Simple moon shots
- Tube material: Steel
- Length of optical tube: 40.0 in.
- Weight, optical tube: 8.9 lbs.
- Weight, mount/tripod: 23.6 lbs.
- Weight, fully assembled: 32.6 lbs.
- Other features: 2" R&P focuser with 1.25" adapter, adjustable altitude and azimuth tension knobs, center-marked primary mirror for collimation
- Lithium Battery Weight: 0.10 grams