Beginning skywatchers looking for a telescope that can serve up vivid, sharp images of the Moon, planets, and brighter deep-space objects need to look no further than the Orion Observer 90mm Equatorial Refractor. Refractor telescopes are coveted for their crisp, sharp images, and their lack of maintenance compared to reflector telescopes, whose optics must be regularly re-aligned or collimated.
This family friendly telescope boasts a 90mm-diameter (3.5") fully antireflection coated achromatic lens of 900mm focal length. That means that with the 25mm and 10mm 1.25" Plossl eyepieces included, you'll enjoy views at 36x and 90x, respectively. When aimed at the Moon, the Observer 90 EQ yields tack-sharp views of the rocky lunar surface with craters and mountainous regions visible in crisp, high-contrast detail. Both eyepieces feature multi-coatings for great light transmission and are threaded for optional Orion filters. The 1.25" rack and pinion focuser lets you dial in the perfect focus. This telescope is also equipped with a 6x30 finder scope to help you find and center your celestial target for viewing.
The Observer 90mm EQ includes a sturdy equatorial mount designed specifically for astronomical viewing. With its dovetail mounting saddle, you can pop the optical tube on or off quickly for easy setup and transport. Dual slow-motion cables let you track objects manually to keep them centered in the eyepiece. The aluminum tripod adjusts to a comfortable height and has a handy accessory tray for convenient storage while you're probing the starry skies. The assembled telescope weighs just under 17 lbs.
This Orion Observer 90mm EQ Refractor Telescope Kit includes an exciting collection of essential items that will help you get the most out of your new telescope.
Learn "what's up" on any night with the Orion Star Target Planisphere
This handy star wheel makes it easy to see "what's up" in the night sky any night of the year. Dial in your local date and time and it shows you the locations of the constellations and deep-sky objects in the night sky. Use it to plan a stargazing session or see what time of year your favorite constellation will be visible. Designed for use in 30°-50° latitudes.
Explore the Moon's cratered surface with the help of the MoonMap 260
The included Orion MoonMap 260 will help the whole family learn the names and locations of more than 260 craters, mountains, valleys, "seas" and other interesting lunar features you can explore with your telescope. Use the MoonMap 260 to identify craters you've observed, or use it before you go out with a telescope to plan a night full of Moon-watching family fun.
Cut the Moon's glare and see more detail on its surface with the Orion 13% Transmission Moon Filter
This popular accessory reduces glare and boosts contrast so you can enjoy more-detailed views of lunar surface features. It blocks 87% of the Moon's brightness to provide a more comfortable view and reveal subtle details. It's a neutral density filter that will not alter the natural color of the Moon either.
Reveal subtle markings and features with the included Color Filter Set
The set of four color eyepiece filters that come in this kit will help enhance subtle details of the planets and the Moon by selectively increasing the contrast between markings of different hues. The included set of four color filters includes color planetary telescope eyepiece filters: #15 deep yellow, #25 red, #58 green, and #80A medium blue. These filters are vat-dyed for even color coating and then anti-reflection coated for maximum transmission.
- Best for viewing: Lunar & planetary
- User level: Beginner
- Optical design: Refractor
- Optical diameter: 90mm
- Focal length: 900mm
- Focal ratio: f/10.0
- Coatings: Fully coated
- Optics type: Air-spaced doublet
- Glass material: Crown/Flint
- Eyepieces: Plossl 25.0mm,10.0mm (1.25")
- Magnification with included eyepieces: 36x, 90x
- Resolving power: 1.29arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification: 13x
- Highest useful magnification: 180x
- Highest theoretical magnification: 180x
- Limiting stellar magnitude: 12.5
- Optical quality: Diffraction limited
- Finder scope: 6x30
- Focuser: .965"/1.25" Rack-and-pinion
- Diagonal degrees: 1.25" 90° Mirror Star
- Secondary mirror obstruction: 40mm
- Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter: 30%
- Secondary mirror obstruction by area: 22%
- Mirror coatings/over-coatings: Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
- Mount type: Equatorial
- Astro-imaging capability: Simple moon shots
- Dovetail bar system: Yes
- Motor drive compatibility: Clock drive sold separately
- Setting circles: Yes
- Polar-axis scope: Not available
- Counterweights: One 4 lb.
- Tube material: Aluminum
- Tripod material: Aluminum
- Counterweight bar length: 8 in.
- Diameter of counterweight shaft: 13mm
- Height range of mount: 37.50 in. - 69.50 in.
- Length of optical tube: 34.0 in.
- Weight, optical tube: 4.7 lbs.
- Weight, mount/tripod: 11.4 lbs.
- Weight, fully assembled: 16.1 lbs.
- Other features: Dual slow-motion cables, Dovetail saddle for easy attach/detach of OTA, Dew shield reduces off-axis glare and dew on lens