Have you been interested in owning a high-quality apochromatic ED scope, but haven't pulled the trigger yet due to the high price of this style telescope? The Orion EON 80 ED Apochromatic Refractor might just be the ticket! It possesses amazing optics and high quality modern machining and features, all for a very affordable price.
The dual speed 2" Rack and Pinion focuser, complete with a bias cut on the rack for operation free of backlash, is perfect for precise and repeatable focusing in both visual and photographic pursuits. Comparable to a Crayford focuser, this high quality R&P eliminates any possibility of slipping when attaching other camera gear. A 2"-1.25" step down adapter is included with this scope, as well as a finder scope dovetail shoe with dual lock knobs.
Complete with the inclusion of beautiful felt-lined tube rings and a 136mm long Vixen dovetail rail. Threaded holes on top allow the addition of accessories such as guide scopes and rails. On the bottom you'll find a slot in the Vixen rail to adjust the spacing in the tube ring, along with a ¼"-20 threaded socket which also allows attachment to standard photo tripods.
But let's also talk about the optics of this beautiful refracting telescope. This 80mm f/7 doublet (560mm focal length) is made apochromatic by the inclusion of an Fk-61 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens element which virtually eliminates false color, even on bright stars and planets. This lens minimizes the chromatic aberrations present on achromatic refractors, providing tack sharp and high contrast images and photographs of the night sky.
Measuring in at 17.25" long when the dew shield is retracted, this little telescope is extremely portable yet still packs a big performance punch. We are very proud to now offer this high quality doublet with all the modern features for your astronomical pursuits!
- Best for viewing: Brighter deep sky
- Best for imaging: Deep sky
- User level: Intermediate
- Optical design: Refractor
- Optical diameter: 80mm
- Focal length: 560mm
- Focal ratio: f/7.0
- Coatings: Fully multi-coated
- Optics type: Air-spaced doublet
- Glass material: Fk61
- Resolving power: 1.45arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification: 12x
- Highest useful magnification: 160x
- Highest theoretical magnification: 160x
- Limiting stellar magnitude: 12.2
- Optical quality: Diffraction limited
- Focuser: 2" dual-speed Rack-and-pinion
- Mount type: Optical Tube without Mount
- Astro-imaging capability: Lunar, planetary & long exposure
- Backfocus distance: 153.0mm
- Tube material: Aluminum
- Length of optical tube: 17.3 in.
- Weight, optical tube: 6.4 lbs.
- Other features: One ED element in apochromatic objective lens, 2" Rack and Pinion focuser, dual speed 10:1 reduction focusing