The Losmandy AZ8 Alt-Az Dual Head Mount: Scott Losmandy is known for precision mount design and fabrication. The AZ8 is no exception. Like all Losmandy mounts, the Losmandy AZ8 Alt Azimuth mount is machined from black anodized aluminum with stainless steel hardware throughout. Fine needle bearings paired with high quality 7075 aluminum worm gears provide smooth, concise and controlled movement. 360 degree rotation of both axes is controlled by two slow motion knobs. Clear and easy to read 3.5" laser engraved setting circles help keep set up and tracking simple.
The AZ8 also boasts an impressive weight capacity via it's two head design. When properly balanced each side is capable of carrying 35-pounds for a total carrying capacity of 70-pounds. Its motor-less design paired with the dual heads makes it the optimal choice for outreach and educational opportunities. Set an h-alpha scope on one side and telescope with a white light filter on the other for a side by side comparison or a small refractor with camera on one head and a larger refractor or small Cassegrain on the other for observing while doing short exposure imaging, great for lunar or solar imaging!
Highly versatile and very portable, each head of the Losmandy AZ8 offers a dual saddle plate capable of securely holding a V or D style dovetail. The head and tripod weigh a light 13-pounds each and are compact in size the tripod folding down to just 29 inches. The aluminum tripod includes a 6 inch riser to keep mounted equipment clear of the tripod legs. Integrated bubble level and tilting tripod feet help ensure a level and quick set up. The tripod is easily adjustable up to 46 inches.
Losmandy AZ8 Specifications
- 2-inch and 2.1-inch diameter needle thrust bearings.
- Two (2) 1.5-inch diameter needle bearings.
- 360-degrees dual axes rotation.
- 2.812-inch diameter 7075 aluminum worm gear with 180 teeth.
- High precision brass worm.
- Variable slip clutch on both axes.
- 3.5-inch laser engraved setting circles.
- 1.25-inch diameter aluminum shafts.
- Dual saddles supporting either D or V series dovetails.
- Head weight 13-pounds.
- Tripod weight 13-pounds.
- Tripod leg length 29 to 46-inches.
- Potential weight capacity of 70-pounds.