iOptron SkyTracker ProIntroducing the iOptron SkyTracker Pro! It has been four years since iOptron first introduced the original SkyTracker, and in that time it has become a staple tool for astroscape imaging. Since then there has been a real explosion of interest in this field of astro photography, an explosion of interest that resulted in the ingenuity of countless dedicated observers and imagers pushing the existing equipment to its limits. And now, iOptron has chosen to expand those limits with their next generation camera tracker, the iOptron SkyTracker Pro.
iOptron has made the SkyTracker Pro exceedingly compact, as it is now small enough to fit in the palm of your hand and easily be transported anywhere. Packed into this tiny size is the same precision and mechanical quality as before, just as you've come to expect from any iOptron product. It boasts a unique bidirectional rapid slew function which enables the user to reframe without disturbing the camera. The included polar scope etched reticle now has an adjustable brightness control to help deliver optimal visibility regardless of light conditions. Another great addition to the SkyTracker Pro is a rechargeable power source capable of over 24 hours of continuous operation on any of the SkyTracker Pro's four tracking speeds.
Furthermore, various changes and upgrades beyond those above are present in the removable Alt-Azimuth base. This base now features a precision bubble level, degree markings for the altitude and a built in post for the azimuth control. Because the base is removable, you can also mount the SkyTracker Pro ball-head (without the base) directly to any standard photographic tripod with 1/4-Inch or 3/8-Inch threads. The SkyTracker Pro is a massive aide to anyone interested in astroscape or wide-field astrophotography, and is well worth the investment to get started.
Features and Specifications
- All metal structure with ABS covers
- Attaches to a camera tripod with 3/8-Inch or 1/4-Inch threads
- Accepts cameras weighing up to 3 kg (6.6 lb)
- Silent tracking for smooth camera motion, perfect for long-term exposures
- Detachable alt-az base with fine latitude and azimuth adjusters for easy polar alignment
- Reversible mounting post for both 3/8-Inch and 1/4-Inch threaded ball-head mounting
- Includes iOptron AccuAlign dark-field illuminated polar scope
- Adjustable polar scope illumination with eight brightness levels
- 4 tracking speed (1X, 1/2X, solar and lunar). 1X celestial tracking for imaging the sky and stars; 1/2X tracking speed for imaging both the starry night and terrestrial landscapes at the same time
- Quick slew (180X max.) for camera framing adjustment
- Operation in both Northern and Southern Hemispheres
- Built-in rechargeable battery with Micro USB port for power and charging
- Over 24 hours of operation (20 deg.C)
- 1/4-Inch or 3/8-Inch thread converter included
- Padded carrying bag included
OPT Product Number: IO-3322
|Head Design||German Equatorial|
|Instrument Capacity||6.6 lbs|
Reliable moun for the dollar
For the $$ this is hard to beat. Very smooth and quiet when tracking, battery delivers as promised, I've done a polar alignment at 12: midnight and left the unit on over night so as to do imaging of the sun the following morning, and its still tracking accurately. All I had to do was to switch to solar tracking rate and begin imaging the Sun. Light weight and fairly user friendly even in the dark of night. Only two minor issues are, its a bit light on the max payload of 6.6lbs, my canon camera and telephoto lens comes out at about 7lbs. but still it tracks accurately. Also wish it came with or could have as an accessory, a 90 degree diagonal for the finder scope, sometimes you find yourself almost standing on your head trying to lock in polar alignment, a diagonal would really help. Aside from this its a jim-dandy mount for the dollar!