This Focus Motor is designed for Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain (SCT) and EdgeHD telescope optical tube assemblies.
When this focus motor is installed, you will be able to bring celestial objects into sharp, precise focus using your telescope's hand controller or a computer instead of using the focuser knob.
A focus motor is great for visual observers who want to dial in exact focus (especially those with dexterity issues), and a must-have accessory for astro-imagers. With a motorized focuser installed, an astro-imager no longer needs to be physically near the telescope to focus an image. Combined with computerized control of the mount and camera, the focus motor enables the imager to gather data remotely from a telescope right outdoors or one located in a remote observatory where they have control.
As an added bonus, port covers protect the ports while they are not in use, and the covers cannot be lost due to a tethered design.
Compatible Optical Tubes
The focus motor is compatible with:
- SCTs from 6-inch to 14-inch in aperture that have been produced since the year 2006.
- 8-inch Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA).
- 36 cm RASA.
- 7-inch Maksutov-Cassegrain.
- All of the EdgeHD optical tubes (Now including the 9.25-inch).
- 11-inch RASA - but requires the Focuser Retrofit Kit.
It is not compatible with:
- 5-inch SCTs or older models.
- For 6-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes only - the Off-Axis Guider (#93648) cannot be used when the focus motor is installed due to mechanical interferences.
There are three options for powering your Celestron Focus Motor:
- When using a Celestron computerized mount, you can power and control the focus motor through the mount using the supplied AUX cable. This allows control from the mount’s hand controller (NexStar+ or StarSense) or a computer.
- If you are not using a Celestron mount, you can power and control the focus motor from a computer USB port. You will need a user-supplied USB A-to-B cable.
- You may also opt to use an external 12V DC power source which plugs into the motor’s power jack. Compatible Software Celestron offers a free Focuser Utility program for computer control. The Celestron PWI software can also control the focus motor. To use third-party focuser control software, an ASCOM driver is needed.