Celestron Advanced VX 6" Newtonian Telescope
Ask Our Telescope Experts
Celestron Advanced VX 6" Newtonian Telescope
The Advanced VX 6-inch equatorial mount from Celestron was engineered from the ground up with astro-imaging in mind. It provides many of the features found on German equatorial mounts at an affordable price.
The Celestron Advanced VX equatorial mount is specifically designed to provide optimum imaging performance for telescopes that weigh 30 lb or less. Track through long exposures with the Advanced VX, by using permanently programmable periodic error correction, or image across the meridian without doing a meridian flip. You can also enjoy features like the All-Star Polar Alignment and auto guider support.
Take this portable mount to a dark sky site and experience the same quality as a larger stationary mount! The Celestron Advanced VX will serve you for a long time, whether you choose to do visual or imaging work- or both!
Enjoy the Features of the Celestron Advanced VX 6-inch Newtonian Telescope
- NEWLY DESIGNED dual saddle plate compatible with both narrow dovetail CG-5 and larger CGE dovetails.
- Celestron's 6-inch (150 mm) Newtonian optical tube assembly, with its f/5 optical design, gives excellent wide-field views.
- The 6-inch Newtonian's parabolic primary mirror minimizes spherical aberration to produce a better image.
- Integer gear ratios and permanently programmable Periodic Error Correction on the Celestron Advanced VX mount eliminates recurring track errors from the worm gear.
- The motors of the VX mount offer improved tracking performance - provide more power to overcome load imbalances.
- The updated industrial design of the Advanced VX offers more rigidity, less flexure, and improved aesthetics.
- The Celestron VX design allows viewing or imaging across the meridian without interference from the motor's housings.
- The Advanced VX mount can be used between 7 and 77 degrees latitude, incorporating a much larger latitudinal range than generally seen on equatorial mounts.
- The improved electronics on the Advanced VX contain increased memory for future expansion.
- A Celestron NexStar+ hand control offers multiple language programming (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish).
More About Celestron's Optical Tube Assembly
The lightweight 6-inch Newtonian OTA offers up a wide field of view with a focal ratio of f/5. With 150 mm of light-gathering capability, you can travel out of the solar system and into deep-space! This reflecting telescope system, with its classic parabolic aluminized primary mirror, is a great way to enter the hobby. If you decide you want something a bit bigger or of a different optical design, you can simply swap one OTA for another. Since the VX mount can handle up to 30 lb, you have plenty of options!
All-Star Polar Alignment
Get ready for a night of astroimaging with your mount faster than previously thought possible with All-Star Polar Alignment. This innovative software solves the time-consuming problem of trying to pinpoint the North Celestial Pole.
The new Lithium Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery chemistry has significant advantages over other battery chemistries, great for those Astronomers on the go.
Celestron’s patented StarSense Technology makes it easier than ever to locate objects in the night sky, even if you’ve never used a telescope before. Turn it on and push ‘Align.’ In about three minutes, you’re ready to observe!
WiFi technology encircles the globe in a web of connectivity, knowledge, and information. Now, Celestron is using that same technology to allow stargazers to connect to the night sky and enhance their experience of the cosmos in fun and unique ways.
|Aperture||150 mm (6")|
|Camera/Eyepiece Connection||2" to 24 tpi|
|Dawes Limit||0.77 arcseconds|
|Drive Type||Low cog DC servo motors|
|Focal Length||1500 mm|
|Instrument Capacity||30 lbs|
|Latitude Range||7 to 77 Degrees|
|Light Gathering Power||459x|
|Mount Head Weight||17lbs|
|Power Consumption||12V DC 3.5A|
|Slew Speed||4 Degrees Per Second|
|Telescope Connection||Dual Vixen & CGE|
|Total Weight||47 lbs|
|Tracking Modes||EQ North|
|Tracking Modes||EQ South|
|Tripod Weight||18 lbs|
- 6-inch Newtonian Reflector OTA.
- Advanced VX Equatorial Mount.
- 1 Eyepiece, 20 mm Plossl.
- Finderscope: 6x30 Optcal.
- Tripod: Adjustable, 2-inch Stainless Steel Legs.
- Power Supply: Car battery adapter/ Cigarette Lighter Adapter.
- Counterweight Bar: 12-inch Length, 0.75-inch Diameter lb (5.44 kg).
- Counterweights: 1 x 11 lb.
- Communication Ports: 2x AUX ports, Autoguider port, RS-232 port (on hand control).
- Computer Hand Control: NexStar+: Double line, 16 character Liquid Crystal Display; 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons.
- Database: 40,000+ objects, 100 user-defined programmable objects.
- Enhanced information on over 200 objects.
- Internal Clock: Yes.
- 2 Year Warranty.
I was seriously looking at the Celestron 8SE when I mentioned to a more experienced astronomer I eventually wanted to do some astrophotography. He told me to get an equatorial mount rather than an alt/az mount. He convinced me the equatorial mount is a much better mount for photography. It has a much steeper learning curve, but I’m starting to get the hang of it. After some research and advice from others I decided on the AVX with a 6” Newtonian to start. I’m planing on upgrading to something like an 8-11” SCT someday, and the AVX should be able to handle that when I’m ready. Even with the 6” Newtonian I can see the bands of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn. I can also see a lot of deep sky objects like clusters and galaxies. I recommend this scope/mount for anybody looking to upgrade from their starter scope or want to jump in with a great telescope.
The Celestron Advanced VX Newtonian exceeded my expectations! The VX Mount is a very well built piece to hold just about any mountable Newtonian reflector telescope of any size. The Newtonian reflector is also a very big and sturdy optical tube. I was able to see Jupiter and it’s cloud bands the very first night! OPT is a very good source for all your celestrial viewing needs. Highly recommend the product, delivery, and OPT!