The Celestron CGX 700 Maksutov-Cassegrain combines Celestron's powerful CGX computerized equatorial mount with its 7-inch Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope. With an optical tube assembly weighing only 19 pounds, this telescope is still portable enough to be taken to dark sites.
For astrophotography, the CGX mount offers a sturdy, stout platform, with a smooth, heavy-duty belt drive system, electronic and ergonomic features that favor worry-free remote operation, plus software.
The Celestron CGX 700 Mount is designed to better support your telescope for both visual and astro-imaging pursuits. A lower profile EQ head provides a compact and more stable setup. The CGX includes a better drive system; remote operation-friendly with home and limit optical sensors; easy polar alignment adjustments; and better cable management.
Advanced Features of the Celestron CGX 700 Telescope
- Designed for detailed, high contrast views of smaller celestial objects like planets, globular clusters, and planetary nebulae.
- The optical design includes both a lens and a mirror, providing bright, sharp images virtually free of chromatic aberration.
- Optics are coated with Celestron's StarBright XLT coatings, providing optimal light transmission and bright views.
- Instead of a secondary mirror, the Mak features a “secondary spot” of reflective coating applied directly to the inside of the corrector plate. Because of this, the telescope does not require frequent collimation like a Schmidt-Cassegrain or Newtonian design.
Computerized Mount Features
- Load capacity of up to 55 pounds.
- Motors provide more torque, better slewing and tracking under heavy loads.
- Heavy Duty belt-drive system minimizes backlash while providing smooth motor operation under heavy loads
- Spring-loaded brass worm wheel and stainless steel worm gear reduce friction and provide optimum gear mesh
- Internal cabling for worry-free remote operation. Power input and accessory ports remain stationary while the mount slews to avoid snags.
- Internal hard stops for both axes prevents cable tension and tripod strike.
- Internal optical sensors on both axes for simple and safe remote operation.
- Home sensors allow the mount to always start in the index position regardless of orientation before a power reset.
- Limit sensors automatically shut off slewing or tracking before reaching the hard stop fail-safe.
- Celestron PWI developed in conjunction with PlaneWave Instruments for professional level control operation and imaging.
- Software includes multi-point mount modeling for extremely precise pointing accuracy and many more additional features for remote astro-imaging.
- Wider tripod stance for improved stability.
- Adjustable EQ head position to optimize center of gravity over the tripod and fully utilize the increased 3 degrees to 65 degrees latitude range.
- Dual-fit CG-5/Vixen and CGE/Losmandy dovetail saddle.
- 2-inch steel legs with height index marks for quick leveling.
- Can hold three 1.25-inch eyepieces, two 2-inch eyepieces, your smartphone, or other accessories.
- Plus 20 degrees of additional tracking past the meridian on either side.
- Tripod legs can be collapsed with accessory tray installed for faster setup and transport.
- Two handles for easy pickup and transport.
- All-new ergonomically designed dovetail clamping knobs.
- Innovative and improved polar alignment adjustment system.
- All-new ergonomic latitude adjuster for smooth and easy adjustment under full loads.
- Optional add-on polar axis finderscope.
- All-new NexStar+ hand control with USB port.
- Two AUX accessory ports to support wireless/WiFi alignment and operation with StarSense AutoAlign and SkyPortal WiFi Module accessories (sold separately).
- USB 2.0 port, used to connect directly to PC with included software
- Autoguider port.
- PPEC ready.
- Threaded 12VDC power input barrel connector.
- Internal Real Time Clock (keeps time and site information saved).