Celestron CGX 700 Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope
Ask Our Telescope Experts
Celestron CGX 700 Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope
The Celestron CGX 700 Maksutov-Cassegrain combines Celestron's powerful CGX computerized equatorial mount with its 7-inch Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope. With an optical tube assembly weighing only 19 pounds, this telescope is still portable enough to be taken to dark sites.
For astrophotography, the CGX mount offers a sturdy, stout platform, with a smooth, heavy-duty belt drive system, electronic and ergonomic features that favor worry-free remote operation, plus software.
The Celestron CGX 700 Mount is designed to better support your telescope for both visual and astro-imaging pursuits. A lower profile EQ head provides a compact and more stable setup. The CGX includes a better drive system; remote operation-friendly with home and limit optical sensors; easy polar alignment adjustments; and better cable management.
Advanced Features of the Celestron CGX 700 Telescope
- Designed for detailed, high contrast views of smaller celestial objects like planets, globular clusters, and planetary nebulae.
- The optical design includes both a lens and a mirror, providing bright, sharp images virtually free of chromatic aberration.
- Optics are coated with Celestron's StarBright XLT coatings, providing optimal light transmission and bright views.
- Instead of a secondary mirror, the Mak features a “secondary spot” of reflective coating applied directly to the inside of the corrector plate. Because of this, the telescope does not require frequent collimation like a Schmidt-Cassegrain or Newtonian design.
Computerized Mount Features
- Load capacity of up to 55 pounds.
- Motors provide more torque, better slewing and tracking under heavy loads.
- Heavy Duty belt-drive system minimizes backlash while providing smooth motor operation under heavy loads
- Spring-loaded brass worm wheel and stainless steel worm gear reduce friction and provide optimum gear mesh
- Internal cabling for worry-free remote operation. Power input and accessory ports remain stationary while the mount slews to avoid snags.
- Internal hard stops for both axes prevents cable tension and tripod strike.
- Internal optical sensors on both axes for simple and safe remote operation.
- Home sensors allow the mount to always start in the index position regardless of orientation before a power reset.
- Limit sensors automatically shut off slewing or tracking before reaching the hard stop fail-safe.
- Celestron PWI developed in conjunction with PlaneWave Instruments for professional level control operation and imaging.
- Software includes multi-point mount modeling for extremely precise pointing accuracy and many more additional features for remote astro-imaging.
- Wider tripod stance for improved stability.
- Adjustable EQ head position to optimize center of gravity over the tripod and fully utilize the increased 3 degrees to 65 degrees latitude range.
- Dual-fit CG-5/Vixen and CGE/Losmandy dovetail saddle.
- 2-inch steel legs with height index marks for quick leveling.
- Can hold three 1.25-inch eyepieces, two 2-inch eyepieces, your smartphone, or other accessories.
- Plus 20 degrees of additional tracking past the meridian on either side.
- Tripod legs can be collapsed with accessory tray installed for faster setup and transport.
- Two handles for easy pickup and transport.
- All-new ergonomically designed dovetail clamping knobs.
- Innovative and improved polar alignment adjustment system.
- All-new ergonomic latitude adjuster for smooth and easy adjustment under full loads.
- Optional add-on polar axis finderscope.
- All-new NexStar+ hand control with USB port.
- Two AUX accessory ports to support wireless/WiFi alignment and operation with StarSense AutoAlign and SkyPortal WiFi Module accessories (sold separately).
- USB 2.0 port, used to connect directly to PC with included software
- Autoguider port.
- PPEC ready.
- Threaded 12VDC power input barrel connector.
- Internal Real Time Clock (keeps time and site information saved).
Celestron’s patented StarSense Technology makes it easier than ever to locate objects in the night sky, even if you’ve never used a telescope before. Turn it on and push ‘Align.’ In about three minutes, you’re ready to observe!
WiFi technology encircles the globe in a web of connectivity, knowledge, and information. Now, Celestron is using that same technology to allow stargazers to connect to the night sky and enhance their experience of the cosmos in fun and unique ways.
|Aperture||180 mm (7")|
|Camera/Eyepiece Connection||2" Nosepiece|
|Dawes Limit||0.64 arcseconds|
|Focal Length||2700 mm|
|Instrument Capacity||55 lbs|
|Latitude Range||3 to 65 Degrees|
|Light Gathering Power||661x|
|Mount Head Weight||44lbs|
|Optical Design||Maksutov Cassegrain|
|Power Consumption||12V 5A max|
|Slew Speed||5 Degrees Per Second|
|Telescope Connection||Dual Vixen & Losmandy|
|Tracking Modes||EQ North|
|Tracking Modes||EQ South|
|Tube Weight||19 lbs|
|Warranty||2 Year Warranty|
- 7-inch Maksutov-Cassegrain Optical Tube with CGE Dovetail Bar.
- 2-inch Visual Back.
- 2-inch Star Diagonal with 1.25-inch adapter.
- 28 mm wide-field 2-inch eyepiece.
- 8x50 straight-through finderscope and bracket.
- CGX Equatorial mount and tripod.
- Two 11-pound counterweights.
- 12V DC Power Cable.
- NexStar+ Hand Controller and holster.