Baader 8-24mm Hyperion Clickstop Zoom Mark IV Eyepiece - 1.25"/ 2"
The 8-24 mm Zoom Mark IV Hyperion Telescope Eyepiece by Baader Planetarium:
Baader's new Hyperion 8 to 24 mm Clickstop Zoom continues the Hyperion tradition of delivering top-of-class performance and quality at very reasonable prices. Zoom eyepieces have earned a lackluster reputation over the years, due to their compromises in optical design and execution. We think the Baader Hyperion zoom will surprise many jaded zoom users with its combination of performance, quality, and novel features. The Baader Hyperion Zoom eyepiece now includes both 1.25-inch and 2-inch barrels! The 2-inch barrel attaches through an included adapter ring that has standard 2-inch x 24tpi SCT threads.
The new Baader Hyperion 8 to 24 mm Clickstop Zoom Mark IV continues the Hyperion tradition of delivering top-of-class performance and quality, at very reasonable prices. Zoom eyepieces have earned a lackluster reputation over the years, due to their compromises in optical design and execution. We think the Hyperion zoom will surprise many jaded zoom users with its combination of performance, quality, and novel features.
Owners of Celestron/Synta and Zeiss spotting scopes will appreciate the direct-attachment made possible by the Hyperion Zoom's innovative removable front barrel, which exposes spotting scope attachment threads. Like the fixed focal length Hyperions, the Hyperion Zoom Mark IV eye lens barrel has been provided with an M54 thread (covered by the removable rubber eye cups). A complete system of adapter rings enables cameras to be directly (and rigidly) close-coupled for afocal projection, or variably extended for classical eyepiece projection imaging with our T-Adapter and Extension Tubes. A series of 16 threaded rings provides compatibility with just about every digital (CCD/DSLR) and video camera made!
Baader Planetarium 8 to 24 mm Zoom Hyperion Telescope Eyepiece Features:
- Consisting of 7 elements, the Hyperion optical design delivers outstanding sharpness and color correction over its field.
- Continuously variable focal length, with click-stops at 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 mm. Remains parfocal across zoom range. Click-stops enable precise focal length matching for binoviewer use (please note: barrel diameter of the zoom is 57 mm, so it may not work in binoviewers for users with narrow inter-ocular separations).
- Wide field. The field of view is 68-degrees at the 8 mm setting, and 50-degrees at 24 mm.
- Excellent viewing comfort. The eye relief of 12 to 15 mm, large eye lens, and freedom from kidney beaning and blackouts result in a high level of comfort and ease-of-viewing, at all focal lengths.
- As with the fixed focal length Hyperions, Baader Planetarium has gone to great lengths to give the Hyperion Zoom the most advanced multi-coatings ever used on amateur telescope eyepieces. The Hyperion Phantom Group multi-coatings truly rival the best in the world - including the famous Zeiss Abbe Orthoscopic! The difference in contrast and transmission is clearly visible at the eyepiece.
- Superb fit and finish. Zoom motion is smooth and precise. Barrels are accurately machined on the Hyperion zoom, with excellent surface quality, and hard anodizing. The 1.25-inch barrel is threaded for standard 1.25-inch filters and the 2-inch barrel is threaded for 2-inch filters.
- Adjustable rubber eye cup works for both normal and eyeglass users. Rotating eye cup incorporates a variable-height helical adjustment for setting the optimal spacing.
- Designed to integrate perfectly with many popular spotting scopes.
Features Of The New Mark IV Version:
- Optical quality further enhanced by optimizing the curve geometry of inner lenses
- Internal zoom actuators and lens group centering made more rigid while allowing less play
- Thermal response of mechanical system further improved with thermally matched metal components to allow use under even harsher environmental conditions
- Greaseless movement of internal zoom lens group
- Clickstop mechanics improved with greater smoothness and almost noiseless operation
- Focal zoom positions optimized and refocusing requirements minimized
- Dust protection enhanced throughout and front (telescope side) lens-group actuator sealed
- Eye lens-group made watertight to seal eyepiece from rain during terrestrial operation
- Large eye rest rubber cover redone to make the eye rest scratchproof for eyeglasses
- Eye rest height adjustment made greaseless with step-curved click rest - as found on high quality binoculars
- Now Optimized for Bino-viewer use. The adjustable height eye rest assembly is now fully detachable for creating "nose space" when using two Zooms in a binoviewer. A pair of Zooms now provides the ultimate eyepiece set for bino-viewing.
- M43 threading accepts popular astigmatism correctors
- Small Hyperion rubber eye cup added to fit M43 thread
- Camera adapter thread changed from SP 54 to M43(SONY) for a variety of afocal camera adaptations
- Accepts photo-adapter HTA43T2 (M42 x 0.75-inch) for easy and rigid adaptation of various DSLR-T-Mount rings
OPT Product Number: BA-HYP-ZOOM
|Dust Caps Included||Yes|
|Eye Relief||Variable/ Zoom Eyepiece|
|Eyepiece Apparent FOV||50 degrees to 68 degrees|
|Eyepiece Eye Relief||12mm to 15mm|
|Eyepiece Special Feature||Zoom/ Variable Focal Lengths|
|Focal Length||8mm to 24mm|
|Lens Elements & Groups||7 elements|
|Optical Design||Hyperion Modular|
|Warranty||1 Year Warranty|
This was a birthday gift for my husband (at his request). I'm told it's amazing.
I like that it brings the stars closer to look at.
Baader Hyperion Zoom, a good eyepiece
I was able to put my new Baader Hyperion M IV zoom through some of its paces. Though the night had poor seeing with a bright moon I compared my M IV to two similar non-zoom eyepieces, a Baader Hyperion 13 mm and an Orion Stratus 21 mm. The Baader zoom had similar fields of view with both and good star views out to the edges in my 10" Dobsonian. Other reviews for this eyepiece were similar to mine. This is a recommended eyepiece!
Baader 8-24mm Hyperion Clickstop Zoom Mark IV
I haven’t used the item yet. Waiting for clear skies in the PNW. Online ordering was easy and the communication was good. The item shipped promptly.
Like others who have review this item, my primary motivation for buying a zoom eyepiece was for use at star parties. Too many times I've had to hold off switching eye pieces from a low power/wide field eye piece used to locate a target for a more suitable eye piece for viewing because I had a long line of people waiting to see. I used Baader Zoom with my C9.25 SCT for the first time last night at a local star party and it met (and exceeded) my expectations. It's not completely parfocal but dern close! It was easy to switch between views without having folks wait. The images were all very suitable for the seeing conditions.