Celestron EdgeHD 800 OTA with CGE Dovetail Plate
- 8 Inch EdgeHD Corrected Schmidt-Cassegrain OTA
- f/10, FaStar Compatible to f/2
- StarBright XLT Optical Coatings
- Finder, Diagonal, and Eyepiece Included
- Aluminum Tube; only 14 pounds
Celestron EdgeHD 800 OTA with CGE Dovetail Plate
See the Universe in HD
EdgeHD is an aplanatic, flat field Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope that produces aberration-free images across a wide visual and photographic field of view. The optical system was designed to reduce more than just off-axis star coma; it also provides an astrograph-quality flat focal plane all the way to the edge of the field of view.
True Astrograph Quality
Many optical designs that advertise themselves as "astrographs" actually only produce pinpoint stars across a curved focal plane. While this may be acceptable for some visual observing, stars will appear out of focus at the edge when used with the flat chip sensor of a digital camera. EdgeHD optics produce a focal plane more than three-times flatter than a standard Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope and dramatically flatter than competing coma-free designs. This guarantees you visibly sharp stars across some of the largest CCD chips available today. Learn more about EdgeHD technology.
Superior edge performance not only creates rounder, more pleasing stars, but actually improves the resolution and limiting magnitude when compared to telescopes of equal aperture. With Celestron’s StarBright XLT optical coatings on every surface, EdgeHD optics gives you maximum light throughput across the widest visual and photographic spectrum.
In addition to EdgeHD’s optimized optical design, the telescope tube has been redesigned to make sure you get the most from your optics each and every night.
- Mirror clutches - Flexible tension clutches hold the mirror in place and reduce image shift when taking long exposure astro-images. Once focused, the flexible rods allow the mirror to be held in place without putting any force or pressure on the mirror assembly, keeping the image centered in the eyepiece (or on the sensor).
- Tube vents - Cooling vents located on the rear cell allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror. Each vent has an integrated 95-micron micromesh filter guaranteed to let warm air out without letting dust in.
- Fastar versatility - EdgeHD is the most versatile imaging telescope available today. At its native f/10, you can achieve the image scale necessary to capture the smallest of deep sky objects. Add the optional reducer lens—custom-designed for your size EdgeHD tube—and you can increase your field of view without sacrificing optical performance. A Barlow gives you added power for high-resolution planetary, lunar and solar imaging. All EdgeHD optical tubes are Fastar-compatible, allowing the secondary mirror to be removed and replaced with a third party lens accessory for ultra-fast f/2 wide field imaging.
Every EdgeHD that ships has been tested not only for the surface quality of each optical component, but also with a camera and artificial star to ensure the imaging system meets our rigid quality assurance. This “final acceptance test” confirms the EdgeHD will perform in the field and deliver high-quality astroimages.
The EdgeHD is Celestron's latest innovation that will surely be the system of choice for the serious astroimagers. The new Edge High Definition telescope series features an Aplanatic Schmidt optical system that produces pinpoint star images all the way to the edge of the field. Some optical systems currently on the market may produce coma-free images. But there is a difference.... the optical difference. Not only is the Celestron EdgeHD coma-free, but it also has a built-in field flattener to ensure sharp focus all the way to the edge of the field, producing true Astrograph quality images. This results in pinpoint, High-Definition star images throughout your astrophotographs.
These superior features make the new Celestron HD series the new gold standard in astroimaging. The Edge is an aplanatic Schmidt telescope designed to produce aberration-free images across a wide visual and photographic field-of-view. The optical system was designed to reduce more than just off-axis star coma, but also to give an astrograph quality flat focal plane all the way to the edge of the field of view.
Many optical designs that advertise themselves as astrograph quality actually only produce pinpoint stars across a curved focal plane. While this may be acceptable for visual observing, stars will appear out of focus at the edge when used with a flat chip sensor of a digital camera. EdgeHD optics produce a focal plane more than three-times flatter than a standard Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope and dramatically flatter than other competing coma-free designs. This guarantees you visibly sharp stars across some of the largest CCD chips available today.
Now let's talk about Celestron quality... Superior edge performance not only creates rounder/ more pleasing stars but actually improves the resolution and limiting magnitude when compared to telescopes of equal aperture. When it comes to the Celestron EdgeHD series coupled with Celestron's StarBright XLT coating group on every surface, EdgeHD optics gives you maximum light throughput across the widest visual and photographic spectrum... It's a vision you'll never forget.
Some of the Celestron EdgeHD 800 OTA Special Features...
- Mirror Support Knobs and Flexible Tension Clutches hold the mirror in place and reduce image shift when rotating the tube around the mount.
- Tube Vents Cooling Vents located on the rear cell allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror.
- FaStar Versatility All EdgeHD optical tubes are FaStar compatible for imaging down to f/2 with optional accessories.
- Brighter Star Images - Light becomes more concentrated when focused precisely. This maximizes image brightness.
- Dovetail Plate - for attaching to CGE mounts.
- Sturdy Handle and Large Focusing Knob for your ergonomic needs.
OPT Product Number: CE-91030-XLT
|Aperture||203 mm (8")|
|Aperture||203.2 mm (8")|
|Camera/Eyepiece Connection||24 TPI)|
|Dawes Limit||0.57 arcseconds|
|Focal Length||2032 mm|
|Light Gathering Power||843x|
|Optical Design||Modified SCT|
|OTA Mount Type||CGE Dovetail|
|OTA Weight||14 lbs.|
|Tube Weight||14 lbs|
|Warranty||2 Year Warranty|
- Celestron EdgeHD 800, 203.2 mm (8 Inch) Corrected Schmidt-Cassegrain OTA
- 9x50 Optical Finderscope
- 1.25 Inch Star Diagonal
- 1.25 Inch Eyepiece/ 40 mm Plossl, 51x mag.
- Dovetail Plate, CGE mount compatible
- 2 Year Warranty
Back to basics
I owned the non-edge 8” years ago as my first “high power” scope. I since have owned the 8”, 9.25”m and 11” Edge. I am now back home. For thermal characteristics, portability this is my best option. The aluminum dew shield is better than any soft model and the biggest problem, transport, is solved by using the original box supplied by OPT. The Pacific design bag is light and portable and holds the focus mask and red dot spotter. I got the 9.25” bag to allow for more space, but the 8” bag also accommodates the scope with the 2” Televue focus tube and probably will fit a after market R&P focuser.
Excellent service. When I 'thought' I had a problem with the collimation of the scope OPT invited me to come up to their shop to correct the problem.
i'v only had this ota a few days it is the perfect mate for my IEQ45 i attached the optional focal reducer and camera adapter and went to work i use a Nikon D3100 and the results were stunning all pics were under 60sec unguided single shots and they came out like a pro bright detailed images it's great when you show them to people to hear the gasps and ooohhs and aahhss from them. i tried to upload the pics but it doesn't seem to work i would have liked to show you. so the edgehd preformed' edge to edge all stars bright and round complete flat field i am really happy with this OTA i'm taking great astro pics..