- 8 Inch EdgeHD Corrected Schmidt-Cassegrain OTA
- f/10, FaStar Compatible to f/2
- StarBright XLT Optical Coatings
- Finder, Diagonal, and Eyepiece Included
- Aluminum Tube; only 14 pounds
Celestron EdgeHD 800 OTA with CGE Dovetail Plate
Optical Design: EdgeHD
Aperture: 203.2 mm (8")
Focal Length: 2032 mm (80")
Focal Ratio: f/10
Focal Length of Eyepiece: 40 mm (1.57")
Magnification of Eyepiece: 51x
Star Diagonal: 1.25
Optical Tube: Aluminum
Highest Useful Magnification: 480x
Lowest Useful Magnification: 29x
Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 14
Resolution (Rayleigh): 0.69 arc seconds
Resolution (Dawes): 0.57 arc seconds
Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye): 843x
Secondary Mirror Obstruction: 69 mm (2.7")
Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter: 34%
Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area: 11%
Optical Coatings: StarBright / XLT
Optical Tube Length: 432 mm (17")
Optical Tube Weight: 14 lbs (6.35 kg)
Dovetail Compatibility: CGE Mount
See the Universe in HD
EdgeHD is an aplanatic, flat field Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope that produces aberration-free images across a wide visual and photographic field of view. The optical system was designed to reduce more than just off-axis star coma; it also provides an astrograph-quality flat focal plane all the way to the edge of the field of view.
True Astrograph Quality
Many optical designs that advertise themselves as "astrographs" actually only produce pinpoint stars across a curved focal plane. While this may be acceptable for some visual observing, stars will appear out of focus at the edge when used with the flat chip sensor of a digital camera. EdgeHD optics produce a focal plane more than three-times flatter than a standard Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope and dramatically flatter than competing coma-free designs. This guarantees you visibly sharp stars across some of the largest CCD chips available today. Learn more about EdgeHD technology.
Superior edge performance not only creates rounder, more pleasing stars, but actually improves the resolution and limiting magnitude when compared to telescopes of equal aperture. With Celestron’s StarBright XLT optical coatings on every surface, EdgeHD optics gives you maximum light throughput across the widest visual and photographic spectrum.
In addition to EdgeHD’s optimized optical design, the telescope tube has been redesigned to make sure you get the most from your optics each and every night.
- Mirror clutches - Flexible tension clutches hold the mirror in place and reduce image shift when taking long exposure astro-images. Once focused, the flexible rods allow the mirror to be held in place without putting any force or pressure on the mirror assembly, keeping the image centered in the eyepiece (or on the sensor).
- Tube vents - Cooling vents located on the rear cell allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror. Each vent has an integrated 95-micron micromesh filter guaranteed to let warm air out without letting dust in.
- Fastar versatility - EdgeHD is the most versatile imaging telescope available today. At its native f/10, you can achieve the image scale necessary to capture the smallest of deep sky objects. Add the optional reducer lens—custom-designed for your size EdgeHD tube—and you can increase your field of view without sacrificing optical performance. A Barlow gives you added power for high-resolution planetary, lunar and solar imaging. All EdgeHD optical tubes are Fastar-compatible, allowing the secondary mirror to be removed and replaced with a third party lens accessory for ultra-fast f/2 wide field imaging.
Every EdgeHD that ships has been tested not only for the surface quality of each optical component, but also with a camera and artificial star to ensure the imaging system meets our rigid quality assurance. This “final acceptance test” confirms the EdgeHD will perform in the field and deliver high-quality astroimages.
The EdgeHD is Celestron's latest innovation that will surely be the system of choice for the serious astroimagers. The new Edge High Definition telescope series features an Aplanatic Schmidt optical system that produces pinpoint star images all the way to the edge of the field. Some optical systems currently on the market may produce coma-free images. But there is a difference.... the optical difference. Not only is the Celestron EdgeHD coma-free, but it also has a built-in field flattener to ensure sharp focus all the way to the edge of the field, producing true Astrograph quality images. This results in pinpoint, High-Definition star images throughout your astrophotographs.
These superior features make the new Celestron HD series the new gold standard in astroimaging. The Edge is an aplanatic Schmidt telescope designed to produce aberration-free images across a wide visual and photographic field-of-view. The optical system was designed to reduce more than just off-axis star coma, but also to give an astrograph quality flat focal plane all the way to the edge of the field of view.
Many optical designs that advertise themselves as astrograph quality actually only produce pinpoint stars across a curved focal plane. While this may be acceptable for visual observing, stars will appear out of focus at the edge when used with a flat chip sensor of a digital camera. EdgeHD optics produce a focal plane more than three-times flatter than a standard Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope and dramatically flatter than other competing coma-free designs. This guarantees you visibly sharp stars across some of the largest CCD chips available today.
Now let's talk about Celestron quality... Superior edge performance not only creates rounder/ more pleasing stars but actually improves the resolution and limiting magnitude when compared to telescopes of equal aperture. When it comes to the Celestron EdgeHD series coupled with Celestron's StarBright XLT coating group on every surface, EdgeHD optics gives you maximum light throughput across the widest visual and photographic spectrum... It's a vision you'll never forget.
Some of the Celestron EdgeHD 800 OTA Special Features...
- Mirror Support Knobs and Flexible Tension Clutches hold the mirror in place and reduce image shift when rotating the tube around the mount.
- Tube Vents Cooling Vents located on the rear cell allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror.
- FaStar Versatility All EdgeHD optical tubes are FaStar compatible for imaging down to f/2 with optional accessories.
- Brighter Star Images - Light becomes more concentrated when focused precisely. This maximizes image brightness.
- Dovetail Plate - for attaching to CGE mounts.
- Sturdy Handle and Large Focusing Knob for your ergonomic needs.
OPT Product Number: CE-91030-XLT
- Celestron EdgeHD 800, 203.2 mm (8 Inch) Corrected Schmidt-Cassegrain OTA
- 9x50 Optical Finderscope
- 1.25 Inch Star Diagonal
- 1.25 Inch Eyepiece/ 40 mm Plossl, 51x mag.
- Dovetail Plate, CGE mount compatible
- 2 Year Warranty
Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
Hi! I have an Advance VX Mount, this OTA is the right for my mount or I need a OTA with CG5 mount plate? Thankyou!
The Advanced VX mount uses a CG5 plate, so that is the version you will want. The CGEM and larger mounts use the CGE plate.
Is the CGE mount plate compatible with my Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 Goto?
Yes, the CGE plate will fit the saddle on the AZ-EQ6.
does this mount have slow motion adjustments?
Unfortunately, no, this mount has tensioning clutches but no slow motion controls. A telescope on this mount would be operated just like a Dobsonian.
What do I need to mount the CGE 800 EdgeHD to a Losmandy G11 mount?
With this specific model of Edge HD, you can mount the scope directly to the saddle of the G11 without the need of any additional accessories.