Meade 6" Lightswitch ACF Telescope
- Aperture: 152 mm (6-inch)
- Focal Ratio: f/10
- Focal Length: 1520 mm
- Simple to use, powerful, and great value
Meade 6" Lightswitch ACF Telescope
- Telescope Optical Design: Advanced Coma-Free
- Telescope Aperture: 6"
- Telescope Focal Ratio: f/10
- Telescope Focal Length: 1524mm
- Optical Coatings: UHTC
- Telescope Tripod Included: Yes
- Diagonal Included: Yes - 1.25" Star Diagonal
- Telescope Eyepiece(s) Included: Yes - 1 Eyepiece Included
- Finder Included: Yes - Red Dot Finder Included
- Telescope Mount Type: Alt-Azimuth
- Objects in Telescope Database: 100,000
- Telescope Power Source: C Batteries
For a lot of telescope users, aligning the telescope is always a frustrating experience - even when it is considered a "Go To". There's always something you have to know... Be it the perfectly correct time, the date, your latitude or longitude. How many new users have been stumped by not knowing the names of the alignment stars? Or not being able to see an alignment star that is blocked by a tree or a house? All of these little things can add up to beginning an observing evening in an unpleasant way and that's not what enjoying astronomy is all about. Now imagine yourself setting up a very portable telescope called the Meade LS-6. Thanks to its new LightSwitch Technology, you simply turn it on and let it do the work. Inside a built-in Integrated Sensor Module (ISM) takes over the job and Global Positioning System (GPS) connects with overhead satellites to automatically recognize your telescope's position on Earth. Once this fix takes place, this means your telescope also understands the local time - without even looking at a watch! As silent as a cat on wheels, the Level North Technology (LNT) sensors take over and the Meade LS-6 seeks out two alignment stars and automatically begins charting out a "real time" night sky map in its memory banks for your own personal time and location.
It's a marvelous experience to look through a telescope at a distant object - but nothing can match the experience of knowing things like how far, how fast, how hot, how high, etc. Thanks to The Astronomer-Inside, the Meade 6-inch f/10 LS-6 delivers like no other telescope on today's market can. Right at the telescope the user has the capabilities of a complete audio/visual library at their fingertips... just waiting to give you a full tour of the night sky. Thanks to a built-in speaker and video-out jack, the whole family can share in the fun! Just think of what a great outreach tool the Meade LS-6 can be...
Built on the foundation of Meade's superb Advanced Coma Free Optics in a size capable of revealing all the Messier objects and such a huge portion of the NGC catalog as to keep most observers happy for a lifetime, this telescope is going to offer outstanding planetary and lunar views at a professional level. What more could you ask? What's that you say? Eyes like a CCD camera? Then stop dreaming and take a look at tomorrow's technology... the built-in ECLIPS CCD Camera. Now you can take vibrant, high-resolution, low-noise images of objects right at the telescope and view them on the spot using the scope's video output function. What's more, you can also store them on an MiniSD card for later modifications - or sharing! Just exactly what does that mean? Can you imagine sending Grandma an email with a picture of comet you just viewed? Or how about an image of Saturn? For those who really like challenges, a built-in CCD camera means you can push the Meade LS-6 beyond its visual limits by taking timed exposures of objects far fainter than the human eye can see - and revealing them right at the telescope before your eager eyes!
Meade LS-6 LightSwitch Telescope Features
- Single arm fork Altitude-Azimuth (Alt-Az) mount provides rigid structure with large precision roller bearings on both axis designed to carry large OTAs.
- Precision worm gear drives with 4.875" main gears in both axis for smooth and accurate tracking and slewing.
- Long fork arm length to allow clearance with the base for most cameras.
- Runs on internal C cell batteries for 3-5 hours of portable field operation with hand control holder built into base.
- Off-On LightSwitch and USB and other ports for accessory equipment.
- Heavy-duty stable tripod with quick attachment of the mount
- 6-inch ACF optical tube assembly (OTA) provides 6" clear aperture with 1524 mm focal length for an f/10 system.
- Advanced Coma-Free optical system for performance that only professionals or extreme amateurs have had.
- Standard SC threaded back cell that accepts most existing accessories designed for all Schmidt-Cassegrain models over the last 30 years.
- Integrated Sensor Module (ISM) with GPS and Level North Technologies (LNT).
- Electronically Controlled Locate Identify Position System (ECLIPS) CCD imaging module.
- Multimedia output includes professionally produced audio and video content for hundreds of objects and custom guided tours designed for your location, time and date.
- Multimedia presentations feature the voices of Sandy Woods of Star Date astronomy radio program and George Woods, Hollywood actor and the voice on many productions.
- Built-in speaker in drive base and audio out jack for audio instructions and object descriptions.
- Video out for video presentations and images of many objects, instant display of images from the ECLIPS imager and easy on-screen menu navigation.
- AutoStar III hand controller easily control telescope for automatic location of objects, tours and many other features including 100,000 object database.
- ECLIPS CCD Imager is an essential part of the LightSwitch alignment system.
- Sensitive wide-angle color 640x480 CCD imager for taking your own astrophotographs. Save your photos on a MiniSD card (user supplied).
- With a video monitor connected to the video out jack, see real-time images of the objects you see in the eyepiece.
- New electronics provide full USB support for accessories like additional DSI CCD cameras.
- MiniSD card slot for easy software upgrades and storing your astrophotographs.
Advanced Coma-Free Optics (ACF)
Building from a classic RC design, Meade created a new design with coma-free pinpoint star images and flatter field. The ACF design reduces astigmatism and eliminates dffraction spikes found in classical RCs. TheACF is the perfect plattfor for the demanding researcher and imaging enthusiast with telescopes available in aperture of 6-inches, 8-inches,10-inches, 12-inches, 14-inches, and 16-inches
Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC)
Specialized Multi-layered coating that are preciesely designed to improve the performance of your telescopes optics. You'll see brighter star clusters, more fine details in nebulas, and more surface features on planets with UHTC than without. Averaged over the entire visible spectrum, total light transmission to the focus increases by 15%.
|Aperture||152 mm (6")|
|CD ROMs Included||AutoStar Suite|
|Controller Type||AutoStar III|
|Diagonal Included||1.25" Star Diagonal|
|Finder Included||Red Dot Finder|
|Hand Controller included||Yes|
|Highest Useful Magnification||360x|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude||13.3|
|Mount Type||Alt Azimuth/ GoTo|
|Objects in Database||100000 Objects|
|Optical Design||Modified SCT|
|OTA Mount Type||Single Arm|
|OTA Outer Diameter||7"|
|Telescope Series||Meade LS|
|Tripod Type Included||Adjustable with Steel Legs|
|Warranty||1 Year Warranty|
- Meade 6-inch f/10 LS-6 ACF Telescope
- Super Plössl 26 mm
- Autostar III Handbox with 100,000 objects
- Speaker Built in Mount Connections USB
- ETX Style Self Centering Field Tripod
- Memory 256 Megabytes of Nanflash
- Processor 400 Megahertz Blackfin
- ECLIPS CCD Imager
- Meade Two Year Telescope Warranty
Very nice telescope for my
Very nice telescope for my wife and me. A little surprised that it didn't come with the AC power adapter. Still, very easy to use and overall pleased with quality
Nice telescope with buggy software
I live in Maryland and I'm not sure which GPS satellite(s that Mead's LS-6 is looking for, my LS-6 never acquired one. I have the telescope sit near the lake with wide open sky, it still cannot get the signal. Meanwhile, my cellphone picks up the GPS less that 10 seconds. I ended up using 2 Stars alignment option instead. Try to get firmware update from Autostar Update is a joke. It keeps telling me that the firmware version is up to date even though there's no updated version installed. Why can't Meade just post the file on their website so that it cam be downloaded without the Autostar software.
The 1st ETX-LS6 ACF was defected Meade sent me a new one within 30 days,I downloaded the 1.3g version onto the SD card loaded it into the ETX-LS6 ACF it loaded perfect.Set up the telescope in the backyard, switch it on , walk away, 10 min laterI looking in the 26mm eyepiece and the star was right in the middle of the eyepiece.it tracked everything I wanted to look at all night.this is a great telescope.Meade did it right.
I bought an LS-6 ACF before Christmas. Right out of the box I got a firmware read error. Meade had me return it and said they would send a new one immediately. 3 weeks later I finally got my new scope today, Jan 11, 2010. This scope will not find GPS satellites. I'm out in the middle of my back yard under clear skies. My LX200-GPS is sitting 10 feet away and it finds GPS immediately. My hand held GPS finds 6 satellites with strong signals in under 30 seconds. My LS-6 has the new ver 1.3 software and it can't find GPS. How sad. This leads me to the following conclusions: 1. Meade is making a lot of trash. These units are garbage right out of the box. 2. Meade doesn't even bother testing units before shipping them. This is inexcuseable. They don't even turn them on to make sure they work. 3. Meade customer service is terrible. They don't accept Email so I wrote 2 paper letters regarding the first scope and did not even receive a response. I have been a Meade customer for 20 years and I will never buy another Meade product. The company is manufacuring garbage and not even bothering to test it. Customer service doesn't even seem to care. What a shame.
Dont Get It
Mine works great. If you got one that does not work just send it back. Anything man made has the possibility of defects. It is a great scope especially with my kids.
Firmware needs revision. Don't use current updater it's being updated. This site only seems to print favorable reviews.