Meade LX200 14" F/10 ACF UHTC OTA
Meade 14" f/10 LX200-ACF Advanced Coma-Free Telescope
The most widely used research telescope on earth now comes with the most advanced optical system. Meade's LX200-ACF brings Advanced Coma-Free (ACF) optics within reach of aspiring astronomers everywhere. Nearly every observatory reflector in the world uses an aplanatic (coma-free) optical system like the Ritchey-Chr??tien (RC), including NASA's Hubble Space Telescope. Now you can own similar optics to what the professionals use. The Meade LX200-ACF telescope includes all the field-proven features of the LX200 including GPS, Primary Mirror Lock, Oversized Primary Mirror, SmartDriveŸ?????????????????????; Smart MountŸ?????????????????????, AutoStar?? II and more. The new Meade LX200-ACF. It's the biggest news in astronomy since, well, the LX200.
A traditional RC design is a type of reflector that delivers a coma-free, flat field of view via hyperbolic primary and secondary mirrors. RC telescopes (from a variety of manufacturers) are found in most of the world's top observatories and NASA's Hubble Space Telescope. Because the mirrors in these telescopes have always been very expensive to make, few amateur astronomers could enjoy them. Fortunately, Meade engineers developed a radical new Advanced Coma Free design by combining a hyperbolic secondary mirror with a corrector-lens-and-spherical-primary-mirror combination that performs as one hyperbolic element. This ACF design produces a coma-free, flat field of view that rivals traditional RC telescopes at a fraction of the cost. The design even eliminates diffraction spikes and improves astigmatism, both of which are inherent in the traditional RC design. When reviewing Meade's LX400-ACF Advanced Coma Free, Sky and Telescope magazine said, " [It] does indeed perform like a [RC]. The difference between the off-axis images (compared to a Schmidt-Cassegrain) was dramatic to say the least."
Meade 14" f/10 LX200-ACF Advanced Coma-Free Telescope Features
- f/10 Advanced Coma-Free Optics: Building from a classic RC design, Meade has created a new design with the same coma-free pinpoint star images and flatter field that discerning astrophotographers and most professional observatories have come to expect from classic Ritchey-Chr??tien optics. Meade's Advanced Coma-Free system also reduces the astigmatism and eliminates diffractions spikes found in classical RCs. The LX200-ACF is the perfect platform for the demanding researcher and imaging enthusiast.
- Meade Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC) increases total light transmission and image brightness by nearly 20% over Meade's standard coatings. Objects such as stars, galaxies and nebulae will appear significantly brighter.
- Primary Mirror Lock locks the mirror in place during long-exposure astrophotography.
- Oversize Primary Mirror diameters are greater than their listed aperture (e.g., the diameter of the 8" LX200-ACF is actually 8.25"). This additional 1/4" yields a wide, fully illuminated field-of-view.
- Coma Killer - What is coma? It's not some sort of astronomical state of unconsciousness. It's an optical aberration. Precisely defined, coma is a distortion in which the image of a star cannot be focused to a point, but takes on the shape of a comet.
Why choose the Meade LX200-ACF? Because coma isn't some sort of astronomical state of unconsciousness. ItŸ???????????s an optical aberration. Precisely defined, coma is a distortion in which the image of a star cannot be focused to a point, but takes on the shape of a comet. Worst yet, the majority of telescope optical systems, including the popular Schmidt-Cassegrain, have it to one degree or another. Once, you would have had to spend tens of thousands of dollars for an aplanatic optical system (a fancy term for coma-free). Now that Meade has made this Advanced Coma-Free optical system, this level of performance is affordable to the amateur.
The Meade LX200-ACFŸ????????????????????? telescope brings advanced Coma Free optics within reach of aspiring astronomers everywhere. The Meade LX200-ACF combines a revolutionary new optical system with the field-proven mechanical features of the original Meade LX200 - the most widely used research-grade telescope in astronomy today. Dr. Clay Sherrod says: Ÿ???????????I personally know over 100 amateur astronomers using LX200's out-of-the-box (new ones and old ones) to provide research data to professionals around the world. One friend of mine used his 14" LX200 to discover binary asteroids using light curves. ItŸ???????????s remarkable stuff that only the pros could do before.Ÿ???????????
Meade Product Number: 1410-60-01
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.