- Compatible with Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain, EdgeHD* (except the 9.25" EdgeHD), and RASA optical tubes. Check description for full list.
- When connected to a Celestron computerized mount, the mount provides power. When connected directly to a computer, USB provides power.
- Enables autofocusing with a camera and third-party software via ASCOM.
Celestron Focus Motor for SCT and EdgeHD Telescopes
The Celestron Focus Motor for SCT and EdgeHD provides electronic focusing control for Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain (SCT) and EdgeHD telescope optical tubes. When the focus motor is installed, you can bring objects into sharp, precise focus using your telescope’s hand controller or a computer instead of using the focuser knob. Great for visual observers who want to dial in exact focus (especially those with dexterity issues), and a must-have accessory for astroimagers. With the motorized focuser, you no longer needs to be physically near the telescope to focus your exposures. Combined with computerized control of the mount and camera, the focus motor enables the imager to gather data remotely from a backyard observatory, or even a telescope located hundreds of miles away.
Compatible Optical Tubes
The focus motor is compatible with all SCTs from 6” to 14” in aperture that have been produced since the year 2006. It is not compatible with 5” SCTs or older models. It is compatible with all EdgeHD optical tubes (except the 9.25" EdgeHD), the 8” Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA), the 36cm RASA, and the 7” Maksutov-Cassegrain.
RASA 11" Users, please note: The 11" RASA requires the Focuser Retrofit Kit for RASA 11 in order to work with the Celestron Focus Motor.
9.25" EdgeHD Users, please note: This focuser is currently not compatible with this optical tube due to mechanical interfaces. A fix is currently in development.
There are three options for powering your Celestron Focus Motor:
- When using a Celestron computerized mount, you can power and control the focus motor through the mount using the supplied AUX cable. This allows control from the mount’s hand controller (NexStar+ or StarSense) or a computer.
- If you are not using a Celestron mount, you can power and control the focus motor from a computer USB port. You will need a user supplied USB A-to-B cable.
- You may also opt to use an external 12V DC power source which plugs into the motor’s power jack.
Celestron offers a free Focuser Utility program for computer control. The Celestron PWI software can also control the focus motor. To use third-party focuser control software, an ASCOM driver is needed.
- The Celestron Focus Motor for SCT and EdgeHD enables electronic focusing using a computer or Celestron computerized mount hand controller for remote/hands-free observing.
- Motor controls include multiple speed rates, automatic GoTo indexed focuser position, and focuser backlash compensation.
- Focuser Utility software for Windows provides a simple user interface. Also compatible with Celestron PWI.
- Indexed focus position allows the motor to automatically return to a previous focus position and prevents the focus motor from reaching the end of telescope’s mechanical focus travel.
|Focusing Aid Type||Focus Motor|
|Warranty||2 Year Warranty|
Celestron Focus Motor
High quality and performance
well done Celestron
mechanical installation is easy; motorised focuser is a real help to improve observations, MAC compatible software is a missing element
I recently purchased the Celestron Focus Motor for SCT and EdgeHD Telescopes from OPT telescopes, the package arrived intact and within the time advertised, before making the purchase, I emailed a member of the OPT team and my queries was quickly answered by Shawna who was very helpful. I would have no problem recommending OPT.
Celestron Focus Motor for SCT and EdgeHD Telescopes
I received this product about a week ago and downloaded both the Celestron CPWI and Celestron Focuser software and also upgraded the firmware for my hand controller on my Celestron Nextstar 8SE. After installing the focus motor and going through the calibration routine using the Celestron Focuser and CPWI software the unit failed to respond to commands from my computer. Using the upgraded hand control software, I received a lost communication message from the focus motor on thr hand controller display. I tried both plugging the motor into the scopes AUX port and using a USB connection from my computer with seperate power supply, both attempts failed. I ran an ASCOM diagnostic on the focus motor and was able to send and retrieve data from the device so the communication links are working. There appears to be several problems associated with the focus motor and hand controller firmware. I tried over several evenings to get the device to operate and are somewhat frustrated. Has anyone else had similar problems?
Very happy with this product.Very smooth operation and get perfect focus.Thankyou.
Has not been able to use the focus motor since it has not been delivered. It was sent 1 feb. The only delivery option was USPS First Class, there is absolutely nothing that is first class with that!