- The 11" Aperture RASA Schmidt Astrograph has a wide-field at only f/2.2!
- The CGX Mount is quick and quiet
- Exposure times are greatly reduced
- Internal Cabling
- 2 Year Warranty!
Celestron 11" RASA Schmidt Astrograph - CGX Package
The Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph Design
The Rowe-Ackermann design pairs speed with performance. Based on the original Schmidt camera design, the RASA optical tube offers major advantages to astrophotographers by giving you a short focal length for relatively a large aperture. The result is a wide-field f/2.2 system offering the advantage of better apparent tracking. With only a 620mm focal length, exposure times are also greatly reduced when compared to traditional Schmidt Cassegrain telescopes. You'll be capturing better images in a fraction the time, without the need of an autoguider!
As CCD imaging has advanced, large sensors have become readily available in increasingly more affordable cameras. While the imaging hobby has grown in leaps and bounds there has been very little changed in optical designs to accommodate these large imaging sensors. That is until now. The Celestron RASA offers an exceptionally sharp 70mm image circle. This creates such a wide field, you'll be able to fill even the largest imaging chips with edge-to-edge pinpoint stars with minimal vignetting. The Rowe-Ackermann scopes are perfect for creating giant night sky mosaics, surveying and comet hunting. Designed with 4-element rare-earth glass, images are free of false color, coma, and field curvature. Optical quality this excellent has been unheard of in astrographs within this price range.
Advanced features like a custom engineered linear brass focuser bearing and FeatherTouch Micro Focus Knob allow you to make the fine adjustments you need to capture the perfect shot. Meanwhile, a 12V MagLev fan reduces cooldown time and provides optimal airflow through the dust filtered optical tube.
Engineered as a complete astroimaging system, every component of the Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph is optimized for peak performance with DSLR and astronomical CCD cameras. Down to the thickness of the glass used in the included fully-multicoated optical window or an optional imaging filter, every component of the system has been taken into careful consideration to work together seamlessly.
Includes M48 and T-Thread camera adapters.
Celestron CGX Mount and Tripod
The product of many long years of design and planning, the CGX is a complete redesign of the very concept of a German Equatorial mount, an improvement upon Celestron's previous offerings in almost every way. They've spent years rethinking and redesigning a GEM from the top to bottom, and the results speak for themselves. Surpassing an already top-notch design in every way isn't an easy design goal- but a quick look is enough to tell that the engineers at Celestron were up to that task and then some. The design is sturdier and more rigid as a baseline, simply better to begin with. It also boasts a quicker dampening time, with silky smooth movements to complement that.
The backlash for this amazing mount is absolutely minimal, showing this design for the top of the line quality item that it is. This is aided by the belt-driven worm gears, which have been spring loaded for optimal gear meshing. The weight capacity is declared as 55 lb- and that's a humble declaration, to say the least. This piece of hardware is one of the most solid things on the market, absolutely capable of blowing away anything similar priced in sheer quality.
One of the more impressive features of this mount is the internal cabling in the Go-To system. The way it's designed, almost all the cabling is internal. This means that you don't need to worry about re-positioning your initial wiring setup once you've hooked the mount up, to begin with; because all the cabling is internal, none of it is in the way to get tangled up and cause issues for you while you observe using the (Impressively potent!) Go-To capabilities of this mount. Your power supply and accessories can simply plug into a stationary port on the mount's body, and then never be worried about for the rest of your night!
The motors are another place where improvement is self-evident. They are able to provide notably more torque when active, while the design of the mount ensures that everything is controlled to the tightest, smoothest degree. This innovative mount has a lower profile than most other GEM's as well, giving it a great boost to both stability and portability with its lower center of gravity and compact design. And then it goes a step further in the aim of that goal, as the EQ head's position is adjustable, allowing you to optimize it to match your tripod perfectly for an ideal center of gravity. This mount continues to impress with its next notable feature; a dual fit head that permits a Vixen or Losmandy style dovetail, massively increasing the range of scopes that can be mounted atop this beautiful device!
As a quick summary- The CGX is simply more responsive, with spring-loaded worm gears and belt drives that minimize backlash. Internal cabling means power and accessory ports do not move with the mount, and there are also home and limit switches, as well as internal hard stops for both RA and Dec to prevent cable wrap and tripod strike. Ergonomics have also been massively improved overall, ranging from the carry handles to the adjustment knobs, making setup and takedown both infinitely easier. Another fascinating feature is that there is a clear window built into the motor covers, letting you keep an eye on the pulleys and belts.
And lest we forget- this is most definitely a Go-To mount. Coming with the splendid quality NexStar hand controller and a database of over 40,000 objects, this state of the art mount is definitely ready to take you on the greatest trip of the night sky possible! The Celestron CGX Equatorial Mount tracks 20-degrees past the meridian on either side to maximize the best imaging time. Technologies such as SkyPortal WiFi and StarSense AutoAlign are supported, and All Star Polar Alignment technology is built-in, for faster and easier polar alignment. New telescope control software for automation and remote operation has been designed for the Celestron CGX in conjunction with Planewave Instruments. This software features multi-point GoTo modeling, focusing and plate solving. With this innovative software, no third party advanced PC control software is needed! An intuitive hand controller allows you to align and move the CGX with ease.
This already top notch mount comes atop a tripod perfect for use with it. The sturdy 2" thick steel legs come with graduated markings that make leveling quicker and easier all around, and an included spreader bar adds even greater stability to this heavy-duty tripod while also giving you a few more places to store your eyepieces between use!
The mount itself weighs in at just 44 pounds, and the marvelous tripod it rests atop only at 19.2 pounds. This combined with the incredibly convenient carry bars on the mount makes for extremely useful levels of portability for the astronomer on the go!
Celestron CGX Mount and Tripod Features
- Holds a maximum instrument capacity of 50 lb
- CGX Computerized Equatorial Mount
- Ultra sturdy 2.75" steel tripod with Accessory Tray
- 40,000 object database with over 100 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
- New "All-star" Polar alignment uses any bright star for a quick and accurate Polar alignment
- Software Features include: Mount Calibration, Database Filter Limits, Hibernate, five Alignment Procedures, and user-defined slew limits
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable stars; solar system objects and asterisms
- Permanent Programmable Periodic Error Correction (PEC) - corrects for periodic tracking errors inherent to all worm drives
- Steel worm gear and 90 mm pitch diameter brass worm wheel
- Drive Motors - Low Cog DC Servo motor with integrated optical encoders offer smooth, quiet operation and long life.
- The motor armatures are skewed to minimize cogging which is required for low speed tracking.
- Internal Cable wiring for trouble-free setup and transportation
- Designated six-pin RJ-12 modular jack, ST-4 compatible guide port
- Autoguide port and Auxiliary ports located on the electronic plate for long exposure astrophotography
- Double line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of go to features
- RS-232 communication port on hand control to control the telescope via a personal computer
- Includes NexRemote telescope control software, for advanced control of your telescope via computer
- Precision machined 40 mm diameter steel Polar shafts supported by multiple tapered roller bearings and ball bearings
- GPS-compatible with optional SkySync GPS Accessory
This RASA CGX telescope package includes a 2 year Celestron warranty.
OPT Product Number: CE-12059
- Celestron 11" RASA Schmidt Astrograph
- Camera Adapters: M48 and T-Thread
- Celestron CGX Mount
- Tripod: Adjustable, 2" Steel Legs
- Hand Controller: NexStar +
- 4 Counterweights, 11 lb each/ Locking
- Spreader Bar/Accessory Tray
- Focuser Style: Feather Touch/ two speed:2"/ 1-10 Ratio
- 2 Year Warranty
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.