- Pixel Array: 3096 x 2080
- Pixel Size: 2.4 micrometers x 2.4micrometers
- Exposure Range: 32 microseconds to 1,000 seconds
- Two Stage Regulated TEC Cooling Permits extended viewing sessions
- ZWO ASI178MM-COOL or ASI178MC-COOL Camera Body
- M42-1.25 inch T-Mount
- 1.25 inch Cover
- 2m long USB 3.0 cable
- USB 2.0 short cable x2
- Backup desiccant tablets packet
- Driver & Extra Software CD (Mac, PC, & Linux Compatible)
ZWO ASI178MC Color Astronomy Camera - Cooled
This ZWO ASI178MC Astronomy Camera includes the back illuminated 6.4M resolution Sony IMX178 image sensor. This 1/1.8 inch CMOS sensor has a 3096 x 2080 pixel array and a 2.4 micrometer square pixel size. With a 14-bit ADC, extremely low read noise of 2.2 e, and superior sensitivity combine to make the ZWO ASI178MC an excellent camera for both astronomy and microscopy, excelling in deep sky imaging.
This cooled version incorporates active TEC temperature control for the ability to cool the sensor to 35C to 40C degrees below ambient. This enhanced cooling control offers the best image stability for longer imaging sessions.
Sony IMX178 CMOS Sensor Features
- The Sony IMX178 back illuminated CMOS image sensor offers high sensitivity, resolution and dynamic range.
- The IMX185 is an "Exmor R" sensor with notably improved imaging features, including sensitivity and low read noise, by correcting the basic structure of "Exmor" adopted column parallel A/D converter to back illuminated type.
- The IMX178 is a Sony STARVIS sensor and has a sensitivity of 2000mV+ per 1 micron square (when imaging with a 706 cd/m2 light source, f/5.6 in 1 second accumulation correspondent), and provides superior image quality in the visible and near IR light regions.
- 14-bit output helps achieve high dynamic range which lessened quantization noise and hidden dark random noise. This facilitates clear image quality in light and dark areas, even with high contrast imaging targets.
- Everything required to control your ZWO Astronomy Camera is readily available at the ZWO website.
ZWO ASI178MC Color Astronomy Camera Specifications
- Sensor: 1/1.8: CMOS IMX178
- Resolution: 6.4 Mega Pixels
- Sensor Size: 7.4mm x 5mm
- Diagonal: 8.92mm
- ROI: Supported
- ST4 Guider Port: Yes
- Focus Distance to Sensor: 12.5mm
- Shutter Type: Rolling Shutter
- Window: IR-Cut
- Operating System Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
- Interface: USB 3.0/ USB 2.0
- Bit rate: 14-bit output (14-bit ADC)
- Adapter: 2 inch-1.25 inch (M42x0.75)
- Dimensions: 62mm x 36mm
- Weight: 4.23 oz. (without lens)
- Working Temperature: -5 C degrees to -45 C degrees
- Storage Temperature: -20 C degrees to -60 C degrees
- Working Relative Humidity: 20% - 80%
- Storage Relative Humidity: 20% - 95%
OPT Product Number: ZWO-ASI178MC-COOL
Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
Does this camera have T threads to attach to lenses? Also, has anyone supplied astrophotographic images with this camera? Thanks!
The ASI178MC Cooled camera has t2 thread and a back focus of 17.5mm, so you would need T2 thread spacers and a lens adapter to adapt various lenses to this body. The 178 is a very new camera, but the manufacturer does show a couple early images like this
It looks as if the sensor has an IR cut filter installed. Is this the case and if so, is there a modified version that has this filter removed for photographing emission nebulae?
Generally, when photographing emission nebulas, you want to be photographing between 400-700 nanometers. The filter on this camera blocks out all of the Uv (below 400 nanometers) and IR (above 700 nanometers) light that will generally contaminate your col
How would this fit on a etx125. I will upgrade my scope later but I want to start out with the 125 now and get a camera that will work with the next scope I get
The camera comes with a 1.25" nosepiece, allowing you to use it place of an eyepiece. You can also use it at prime focus with the Meade T-adapter: https://www.optcorp.com/meade-64-t-adapter-for-90-125-etx-models.html
Can this camera run off an unregulated 12 volt lead-acid battery instead of the ZWO 120 VAC to 12 VDC power supply?
You can run this camera, or any ZWO Cooled camera, on 12-volt battery provided that it maintains voltage. Also to keep note that this cameras' cooler can draw anywhere from 1.5 to 2 amps. Depending on the amperage of the battery that you used, can general