Xagyl Ultra Thin Five-Position Color Filter Wheel - 1.25"
Xagyl Five-Position Motorized USB Filter Wheel
The Xagyl Ultra Slim 5-Position Color Filter Wheel is aimed towards astronomical use and designed for visual and photographic observation of celestial objects. It enables automated access to five industry standard 1.25" filters for astrophotography use. The characteristics and thin dimensions of the Xagyl CFW make it an ideal accessory for ATIK, Starlight Xpress, Orion or Basler cameras.
Xagyl Color Filter Wheel Highlights
- Motorized for your convenience, but motors are all internal...no protruding electronics.
- The Xagyl CFW is super slim at only 0.7" thick!
- No power supply is required with this color filter wheel. Powered and controlled exclusively by USB.
- The Xagyl isn't just slim, its dimensions (4.5" x 4.75" x 0.7") makes is one of the smallest, thinnest motorized filter wheels around!
- It only adds 19mm of back focus when you use the supplied adapters.
- The Xagyl Five-Position Filter Wheel package includes a nice selection of adapters, including a T thread to T thread, a T thread to C thread, and a T thread to 1.25" barrel adapter.
- The filter wheel is reversible!
- The filter carousel is threaded for M28.5 x 0.6 filters. An optional carousel is available for M28.5 x 0.5 filters.
- The maximum filter cell height which can be accommodated is 11mm, having a thread length of no more than 4mm.
About the ASCOM Driver
The filter positions for the Xagyl CFW is selectable with the ASCOM driver (a free download from the Xagyl website), a standalone utility is provided for diagnostic and manual filter selection, and the wheel can be used with any ASCOM Filter Wheel compatible commercial imaging software. The integrated firmware is field upgradeable as required using the included utilities.
The included ASCOM driver lets the user define each filter's name and back focus requirements in the event that the filters installed are not parfocal when coupled with a motorized focuser system (if available) for automatic refocusing.
Really Great Filter Wheel
I picked up this filter wheel after the SBIG filter wheel in my old ST series camera became unreliable. I have been really happy so far. The design of this filter wheel is nicely executed. It is THIN, so the brand of filter matters. Some threads on some brands are not an exact match. So some thread in easily, others not so well. I have been able to get all filters to work though so far but some are really tightly ******* in. I like the fact that there is a bearing in the middle of the wheel. That makes the motion low friction and not prone to binding like the early SBIG models. The O-ring drive is designed so it will still work with changing temps. Another big improvement. Comes with useful adapters. The one thing I do not like so well is that it leaves a gap between the FW and the camera. It threads together just fine but It would be nice to have a custom adapter between this FW and the older ST series cameras that closed that gap. Not a huge issue. But I did notice that if the adapter is threaded in too far it can collide with the taller filters. I like this filter wheel so much I purchased the 8 position one as well. Great Value.