A remodel of the popular FSQ-106, the Takahashi FSQ-106EDX3 f/5 Petzval Refracting OTA Telescope is an exceptional flat-field super quadruplet astrograph refractor. This new variant contains a flat field advanced Petzval quadruplet design and extra-low dispersion (ED) glass for the ultimate visible, UV, and IR wavelength color correction. The Takahashi FSQ-106EDX4 Astrograph's optical design enables pinpoint stars along with enhanced field illumination. Constructed especially for digital imaging from the ground up, this refractor's new four-element, four group design is also able to provide spectacular visual performance.
Takahashi FSQ-106EDX4 Petzval Astrograph Highlights
- Entirely new optics for digital imaging with two premium ED elements for impressive color correction
- Cutting-edge Petzval design features a nearly full aperture G3 lens to guarantee enhanced image illumination
- A flat field across a large 88 mm image circle does not require an extra flattener
- Substantial 178 mm back focus enables the attachment of various imaging cameras and accessories, 2" diagonals, and many other visual devices, such as binoviewers
- Includes a heavy-duty 4" dual speed rack & pinion focuser with camera angle adjuster for precise CCD camera rotation
- Anti-torquing draw tube employing an additional rack found on the top of the tube is packed with ball bearings to prevent rotation when heavier instrument loads are attached.
- With 17" of total length with the lens shade retracted, this OTA is compact enough to be taken with you on an airplane
Specifications with Optional Reducers or Extenders
- Reducer: Takahashi 645 Reducer 0.7X
- Product Number: TKA38580
- Effective Focal Length: 371 mm
- Effective Focal Ratio: f/3.5
- Resulting Image Circle: 70 mm
- Reducer: Takahashi 645 Reducer QE 0.72X
- Product Number: TKA38580L
- Effective Focal Length: 380 mm
- Effective Focal Ratio: f/3.6
- Resulting Image Circle: 60 mm
- Reducer: Takahashi f/3 Reducer 0.6X
- Product Number: TKA38581
- Effective Focal Length: 318 mm
- Effective Focal Ratio: f/3
- Resulting Image Circle: 44 mm
- Extender: Takahashi Extender Q 1.6X - 2”
- Product Number: TKA36595
- Effective Focal Length: 850 mm
- Effective Focal Ratio: f/8
- Resulting Image Circle: 44 mm
It can be challenging to figure out which adapters and other accessories you need in order to use your FSQ-106EDX4 visually or photographically. Below you will find several lists that should help make that task a whole lot easier! Links to suggested or required products will be included when applicable so that you can read more about an item and easily add it to your cart. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to give us a call, start a chat, or send us an email.
Accessories Included in the Box
Here are the adapters and accessories included from Takahashi when you purchase the FSQ-106EDX4 OTA. They are listed in the same order that you would attach them to the telescope’s focuser:
- #82 645 RD Adapter (TKA36581)
- #6A CAA Camera Angle Adjuster (TKP86200)
- #8L Coupling with Threaded Cover (TKP38003)
Attaching the FSQ106EDX4 to a Mount
There are just couple items needed for attaching the FSQ-106EDX4 to an equatorial mount: The proper diameter rings and a dovetail. Several different manufacturers make dovetails and rings that will work fine, but here is what we recommend:
Using the FSQ106EDX4 Visually
Below you will find two accessory chains that you can follow if you want to use this telescope visually; one ending in a 2” diagonal and one ending in a 1.25” diagonal. Items in the chain that are included as standard accessories are marked as such, otherwise, each piece will be linked to the accessory on our website. Items are listed in the order you would attach them to the telescope.
Accessory Chain Ending in a 2” Diagonal
Accessory Chain Ending in a 1.25” Diagonal
Canon EOS or Nikon DSLR Imaging
Below you will find the accessory chain that you can follow if you want to use this telescope with a Canon or Nikon DSLR. Items in the chain that are included as standard accessories are marked as such, otherwise, each piece will be linked to the accessory on our website. Items are listed in the order you would attach them to the telescope.
Imaging with a Dedicated Astronomy Camera
Below you will find the accessory chain that you can follow if you want to use this telescope with a dedicated astronomy imaging camera. Items in the chain that are included as standard accessories are marked as such, otherwise, each piece will be linked to the accessory on our website. Items are listed in the order you would attach them to the telescope.
*The 8A Coupling ends in Female M54 x 0.75 Takahashi Wide Mount threads, and after its installation, you will have 56mm of back focus left. At this stage, the focuser still has 15mm of inward and outward travel. If you want to use M42mm spacers at this point, you can convert the Wide Mount threads to standard T-threads with the Wide Mount to T-Thread CCD Adapter (TCD0001), which itself takes up 5mm of back focus. Now you can use standard 42mm spacers as needed to take up the rest of the difference in your imaging train.
If you still have questions about the adapters you need for your application, please contact us directly via email and we will be happy to help.