Stellarvue f/7 SVX102T Premier Triplet Refracting Telescope
Ask Our Telescope Experts
Stellarvue f/7 SVX102T Premier Triplet Refracting Telescope
The SVX102T is Stellarvue's high performance, lightweight, 4-Inch f/7. (714 mm focal length) air spaced apochromatic triplet refractor. Formerly known and reviewed as the SVR102T, this telescope is identical except the objective lens is now hand figured in their shop in Auburn, CA. Held to an even higher optical standard, this model comes with an improved Stellarvue 3-inch focuser with 2-inch and 1.25-inch compression ring adapters. Many experts have pointed out that the Stellarvue 102 has exceptional optics.
Stellarvue has taken the optical accuracy even higher than when it was first reviewed. While their former models (without the X designation) were all excellent coming in at .95 Strehl or higher, SVX series telescopes are even more exceptional, placing 98 to 99% of the light precisely where it should be. SVX series Apochromatic Telescopes use objectives that have the highest optical ratings as measured and documented on the Stellarvue Zygo Phase-Shifting Laser Interferometer. SVX series optics are rated at 0.98 to 0.996 Strehl with excellent optical correction for aberrations commonly seen in mass produced optics. To attain this level of optical accuracy it is usually necessary to go beyond machine polishing. Special tools are made and experienced opticians hand figure objectives here in their optical shop. Stellarvue Premier (X) Series refractors are for the astronomer who recognizes the best when they see it. Each SVX series refractor comes with a Zygo interferometric test report taken in the shop, documenting the accuracy of the objective!
The SVX102T-R employs a sturdy aluminum build. The optical tube assembly is 9.8-pounds and rings weigh an additional 0.8-pounds each. The focuser un-threads resulting in a tube assembly that is only 19.75-inches long, well within airline carry-on size limits. Now you can easily take a world-class apo refractor on the plane with you! The certified 101.5 mm clear aperture optic is essentially perfect. This is as good as it gets which means you will see or image everything the atmosphere will allow!
The Stellarvue SVX102T-R has been designed as their best dual purpose 4-inch telescope for both visual and photographic use. Photographic performance with cameras is excellent with the addition of the photographic field flattener. This is among the sharpest 4-inch class telescopes ever offered.
Fully multi-coated apochromatic triplet objective: Using a 101.5 mm f/7 apochromatic triplet objective, with an Ohara FPL-53 center element, this telescope provides extremely high contrast and reflector-like color correction. To further enhance this high level of contrast, extreme broadband multi-coatings are used on all six air-to-glass surfaces. This boosts contrast, making the stars appear vivid and the background velvet black. These coatings transmit light above and below the visual spectrum. This is important to minimize reflections seen on CCD images.
Internal tube treatment: The main tube interior is painted ultra flat black inside and is properly baffled to eliminate any tube wall reflections. Reflections in the optical path are further reduced using edge blackened objective elements. All of these methods are used to preserve the outstanding contrast of this exceptional apochromatic lens.
3-inch Stellarvue visual/photographic focuser: Many years in the making, this smooth and stable dual speed focuser provides about 4.5-inches of travel. The focuser is perfect for visual use as well as imaging. The rear of the draw tube is threaded to accept the dedicated SFF4 photographic field flattener. The Stellarvue focuser is a heavy-duty rack and pinion unit designed to carry a higher capacity. It has an ultra-smooth (8.5:1 Ratio) fine focus control to attain perfect focus every time. An internal brake system and separate tensioner allows the user to adjust capacity. The focuser is fully rotating with a wide groove for smooth and precise rotation. All of the features add up to one of the finest dual speed focusers available today.
Motorized Focuser Options: Optec and Starizona
Aluminum hinged rings: The SVX102T-R comes with Stellarvue's American made CNC aluminum mounting rings. Each ring has five screws top and bottom. Threaded holes are 1/4-20. There is one center hole, two holes spaced 1.5-inches apart and two holes spaced 60 mm apart. Use the optional TP010 rail for telescope mounts using the Vixen style rail or use the optional TP6 for mounts that use the larger Losmandy style rail.
C009S Heavy Duty Case: This is their heavy duty, thickly padded Nylon hard case with heavy duty zippers. These cases are substantially more durable than the thin-walled Chinese hard cases.
What else do you need? In addition to the supplied accessories, you will need a star diagonal, eyepiece(s) and a mount with a tripod and mounting plate.
Light gathering and magnification power: The purpose of a telescope is to gather light and magnify the apparent size of the object being viewed. A 4-Inch refractor gathers 213 times the amount of light of the naked eye. This will reveal faint objects in space. Magnification power (the increase in the relative size of the object being viewed) is dependent upon the eyepiece being used. Different eyepieces provide different magnification powers. Since this telescope uses a highly accurate, hand figured objective lens and is triple tested in the USA, these telescopes are free of coma and astigmatism seen in many import telescopes. This provides sharper details when viewing at higher powers. Dawes limit, which is the stated maximum power for telescopes under good conditions is about 250 power for a 4-inch telescope. But don't be surprised when you exceed this power on a steady night. This is a true apo triplet capable of very high power when conditions permit.
- FOCUSER: 3-inch Stellarvue rack and pinion focuser. Focuser drawtube adapter is threaded for the SFF3 flattener. Comes with 2-inch and 1.25-inch compression ring adapters.
- OBJECTIVE LENS: 101.5 mm clear aperture, 714 mm focal length (f/7), air spaced apochromatic triplet using an Ohara FPL53 center element. SVX 0.98 Strehl or higher. Test report included.
- TUBE ASSEMBLY: Lightweight tube and dew shield. Painted ultra flat black inside. 105 mm diameter main tube.
- DEW SHIELD: 4.75-inch diameter, 8.3-inches long retracting aluminum dew shield with cap.
- DIMENSIONS: OTA: 19.25-inches long in travel mode (focuser unthreaded), 23.5-inches long with focuser in place and dew shield retracted; 29-inches with dew shield extended.
- WEIGHT: 9.8-pounds with 2-inch adapter and 1.25-inch adapter. Rings weigh 0.8-pounds each.
- FINDER: Optional. We carry the F001 red dot finder and the F002 multi reticle finder.
- RINGS: American made R105 set with five 1/4"-20 threaded holes top and bottom. Holes are spaced 1.5-inches and 60 mm apart respectively, with one in the center. Made on Haas CNC machines.
- PLATE/RAIL: Optional. They recommend the TP-10 rail for telescope mounts using the Vixen style rail or use the optional TP6 for mounts that use the larger Losmandy style rail.
- CASE: C009S Heavy Duty Travel Case
- DIAGONAL: Optional. Please note, you can purchase their 2-inch Quartz Dielectric diagonal upgrade. The upgrade diagonal is the same as the D1040Q deluxe dielectric diagonal but it does not come with a 1.25-inch adapter since the telescope already has one.
- FIELD FLATTENER: Optional. Stellarvue recommends the SFF4-120T.
- LIGHT GAIN: 213X (human eye = 1)
- Image Circle with 3-inch Focuser and SFF4: 43 mm
- Image Circle with 3-inch Focuser and .8X Reducer/Flattener: 25 mm
|Aperture||102 mm (4")|
|Camera/Eyepiece Connection||2" Nosepiece|
|Dawes Limit||1.14 arcseconds|
|Dew Shield Size||126mm|
|Focal Length||714 mm|
|Light Gathering Power||212x|
|Tube Weight||8.8 lbs|