SBIG STXL 6303E Monochrome CCD Camera
SBIG STXL-6303E Basic CCD Camera
To meet the demands of the next generation astroimaging, SBIG introduces the next generation STXL Camera System with optional self-guiding integrated into a Micron-Precision Filter Wheel. The STXL Series is new a high-end model that will fit a moderate budget.
The SBIG STXL camera is the latest version of the flagship STX series. The STXL is essentially the same camera design as the STX with three exceptions:
- The optional Self-Guiding CCD is moved from the main camera body to the new STXL filter wheel for guiding in front of the filters.
- A highly reliable rotating type even-illumination shutter provides a shorter backfocus to accommodate camera lenses.
- The STXL uses a new optional remote guide head. Same size as the ST-i Autoguider, but plugs directly into the remote guide head port of the STXL camera body and operates as an integrated self-guiding CCD.
All STXL-6303E cameras include: Rugged, aluminum body with Ethernet and USB 2.0 electronics, Even-illumination shutter, -60 degree TE cooling delta, water cooling ready, USB and Tracking Cables, Power supply, CCDOPS.
Conquering The Heat...
The STXL uses the same efficient pin fin heat sink design as the STX series cameras to achieve the most efficient use of space and weight while maximizing the cooling capability of the camera. This type of heat sink is more expensive than typical parallel fin heat sinks, but the results speak for themselves. The STXL achieves a temperature delta of -60C in 5 minutes.
Developing The Shutter...
The next development in the SBIG STXL camera series is its even-illumination shutter. Since its founding, SBIGs mechanical shutters have been designed for highly reliable, even-illumination, of the sensor even at short exposures. Even illumination is especially critical when taking flat fields with exposures of less than a second or even several seconds. This is very common when taking sky flats.
Processing The Image...
Internal image processing comes next and SBIGs new STXL is the first large format camera with user-selectable automatic image processing! Progressive 30 second dark frames were taken at room temperature to accentuate the number of warm pixels. One frame was unprocessed, the second frame has a medium filter, and the third frame the most aggressive filter. Each successive image shows fewer bright pixels and each has correspondingly lower noise in the image. The user can select from eight levels of filter strength to suit his needs.
Optional Filter Wheels...
The next innovation on the STXL series is the optional self-guiding filter wheel. Self-guiding has long been acknowledged as the best, most accurate way to guide long exposure astrophotos, particularly with commercial SCTs. The single most common complaint however is finding bright stars when guiding through dark or narrowband filters. The STXL filter wheel incorporates the self-guiding CCD inside the front cover of the filter wheel so that the guider picks off light from the guide stars before passing through the filters. There are two adjustment knobs on the filter wheel base: one for focus and one for moving the pick-off mirror. Problem solved.
Let's continue to talk about filter wheels. When taking flat field frames of filtered images, the flat field frame must show exactly the same optical characteristics to be the most effective. If there is dust on the filter, or uneven illumination caused by the filter, this must be represented precisely as seen in the light image to be corrected by the flat field frame. The optional STXL filter wheel is designed to provide a new level of accuracy when taking flats through filters by repositioning filters to within a few microns every time. This allows the imager to take extremely accurate flat field frames even after rotating the filter wheel several times, or even after a loss of power.
SBIG STXL-6303E Basic CCD Camera Features
- Class 2 CCD Sensor
- Rugged machined camera body with rack handles and 3 threaded accessory plate
- Internal, even-illumination, mechanical shutter
- 15 foot USB cable (third party USB extenders available)
- Telescope interface cable (for guiding)
- Universal 100-240VAC Power supply
- SBIGs CCDOPS version 5 camera control software
- Two Year Warranty Parts and Labor on the camera other than the CCD
- One Year Warranty Parts and Labor on the CCD
- Demo CD-ROM with sample images and software
OPT Product Number: SB-STXL-6303E
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.