SBIG STF-8050SC Truesense Sparse-Color CCD Camera
This SBIG STF-8050 camera model features the standard Bayer color filter pattern. It sports a KAI-08050 8 mp CCD sensor in a 4/3" optical format. Built upon a cutting-edge 5.5 micron Interline Transfer CCD, this sensor features broad dynamic range, superb imaging efficiency, and a flexible readout design.
The STF-8050 has been enhanced to provide fast full frame downloads and peak cooling in a compact package the size of an STF. It only takes about 1/2 second to download a high resolution 8.1 mp 16-bit frame using the dual channel readout mode. Despite this ultra fast download rate, the read noise remains especially low at about 9e-.
TRUESENSE Sparse Color Filter Pattern Description
The Truesense color filter pattern symbolizes a paradigm shift for attaining full-color images from a single sensor. By introducing panchromatic (clear) pixels to the usual red, green, and blue pixels commonly used to capture color, image sensors will be able to gain a substantial increase in light sensitivity, two to four times when compared with typical designs, while maintaining general image quality and color fidelity. Truesense Sparse-Color image sensors allow for improved pictures and video despite low-light surroundings.
KAI-08050 CCD Sensor
- Available in Monochrome, Bayer Color Pattern or Truesense Sparse Color Filter Pattern
- Progressive scan readout
- Flexible readout architecture
- High frame rate
- High sensitivity
- Low noise architecture
- Excellent smear performance
- Package pin reserved for device identification
Astronomers familiar with the STF-8300 will notice that the STF-8050 has nearly identical size and performance specifications with the only exemptions being the shutter and download rate. The STF-8050 was designed chiefly for the OEM market, specifically for microscopy operations where short exposures and high frame rates that can be achieved by an electronic shutter are more beneficial over having a mechanical shutter for automatic dark frames. As a result, the SBIG STF-8050 cooling design is very powerful with the capability of a cooling delta higher than -50 degrees C. At room temperature, this camera can cool down enough to lower the dark current to 1/100th of an electron per pixel per second or less.
Therefore, when compared with the SBIG STF-8300, the STF-8050 is faster with a shorter exposure time (0.001 sec.), while STF-8300 and STT-8300 have higher QE, mechanical shutters and are more desirable for deep sky objects due to their long exposure capabilities. Consequently, the STF-8050 is ideal for solar, lunar or planetary imaging. For deep space imaging, a filter wheel using one blocked slot for taking dark frames can be employed.
- Large, high resolution 8.1 megapixel CCD with 5.5 micron pixels
- Fast, dual channel readout
- Full frame, high res, low noise, 16-bit download in 0.5 seconds
- Electronic shutter for fast exposure times (0.001 to 3600 seconds)
- STX/STXL style pin-fin heat sink and 70mm fan
- Exceptional cooling delta greater than -50???C with air only
- Sapphire Chamber Window
- Very low read noise ~ 9e-
- Very low dark current ~ 0.01e- at -20???C
- Antiblooming protection
- Uses STF 8-Position Filter Wheels and OAG
- Accepts Nikon and Canon EOS lens adapters
SBIG Product Number: STF-8050SC