Here's a beginning Dobsonian telescope that blows away traditional starter telescopes, both in terms of image brightness and ease of use. The Orion SkyScanner BL135mm Dobsonian Reflector Telescope's big 135mm (5.3") mirror collects gobs of light, which accounts for those bright images we mentioned. You'll see the Moon's crater-scarred surface and the Orion Nebula's gaseous ghostliness in amazing detail, not to mention hundreds of other celestial gems.
The optical tube glides up and down, left and right on its sturdy Dobsonian base. It's so easy to operate - you just point the tube and view. The red dot scope will help you zero in on your target. There are no complicated gears, counterweights, locking levers, or tripod legs to deal with as there are with many beginner telescopes. The whole family can get in on the action from the very first night out with the SkyScanner BL135mm Dobsonian. The optical tube detaches from the base with two hand knobs, making for easier two-piece transport if desired. The base even has a convenient carry handle.
The included interchangeable 25mm Kellner and 10mm Plossl eyepieces provide low-power 44x and high-power 110x magnification, respectively. Keep the one you're not using in the convenient eyepiece rack. These eyepieces are a definite cut above the typical cheapie jobs found in most competing beginner telescopes. And their barrels are threaded to accept optional Orion 1.25" filters.
Also included is a 3x Barlow lens, which triples the magnification of any eyepiece it's used with. It's a great tool for getting in tight on your observing target. And to aid in your viewing of our favorite celestial object - the Moon - we include the Orion MoonMap 260. It shows the locations and names of over 260 features on the Moon such as craters, mountains, valleys, and "seas".
- Best for viewing: Brighter deep sky
- User level: Beginner
- Optical design: Reflector
- Optical diameter: 135mm
- Focal length: 1100mm
- Focal ratio: f/8.1
- Optics type: Spherical
- Glass material: Soda-lime plate
- Eyepieces: Kellner 25.0mm,Plossl 10.0mm (1.25")
- Magnification with included eyepieces: 44x, 110x
- Resolving power: 0.86arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification: 19x
- Highest useful magnification: 270x
- Highest theoretical magnification: 270x
- Limiting stellar magnitude: 13.4
- Finder scope: Reflex sight
- Focuser: 1.25" Rack-and-pinion
- Secondary mirror obstruction: 38mm
- Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter: 28%
- Secondary mirror obstruction by area: 30%
- Mirror coatings/over-coatings: Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
- Mount type: Dobsonian
- Astro-imaging capability: Simple moon shots
- Tube material: Steel
- Length of optical tube: 40.0 in.
- Weight, optical tube: 8.9 lbs.
- Weight, mount/tripod: 23.6 lbs.
- Weight, fully assembled: 32.6 lbs.
- Other features: 2" R&P focuser with 1.25" adapter, adjustable altitude and azimuth tension knobs, center-marked primary mirror for collimation
- Lithium Battery Weight: 0.10 grams