There's a whole lot of universe to explore with this pint-sized powerhouse of a telescope. The Orion SkyScanner BL 102mm TableTop Reflector Telescope Kit will let you survey celestial sights like the Moon, the Orion nebula, the Pleiades star cluster, and so much more.
The telescope features a compact, user-friendly design that offers simple up-down and left-right motion ("alt-azimuth"). Use your hand to point it, then view. It's that easy. The optical tube rotates smoothly in both axes, and each has a tension adjustment knob to let you set just the right amount of friction.
Optically, the SkyScanner BL 102mm TableTop Reflector has a 102mm (4") aperture primary mirror with a 640mm focal length (f/6.3). That means you'll get bright, wide-field views of your celestial targets and they will be easier to locate than with longer focal length telescopes. The included interchangeable 25mm Kellner and 10mm Plossl eyepieces provide 26x and 64x magnifying power, respectively. Keep the one you're not using in the convenient eyepiece rack. These eyepieces are a definite cut above the typical eyepieces found in most competing beginner telescopes. And their barrels are threaded to accept optional Orion 1.25" filters.
Also included is a 3x Barlow lens, which triples the magnification of any eyepiece it's used with. It's a great tool for getting in tight on your observing target. The non-magnifying red dot finder scope makes aiming the telescope a cinch. To aid in viewing the Moon, we include the Orion MoonMap 260. It shows the locations and names of over 260 features on the Moon such as craters, mountains, valleys, and "seas".
Cut the Moon's glare and see more detail on its surface with the Orion 13% Transmission Moon Filter
This popular accessory reduces glare and boosts contrast so you can enjoy more-detailed views of lunar surface features. It blocks 87% of the Moon’s brightness to provide a more comfortable view and reveal subtle details. It's a neutral density filter that will not alter the natural color of the Moon either.
Learn "what's up" on any night with the Orion Star Target Planisphere
This handy star wheel makes it easy to see "what's up" in the night sky any night of the year. Dial in your local date and time and it shows you the locations of the constellations and deep-sky objects in the night sky. Use it to plan a stargazing session or see what time of year your favorite constellation will be visible. Designed for use in 30°-50° latitudes.
Read the included Orion Telescope Observer's Guide and start exploring
This 174-page guide for new telescope users will help you find, learn about, and view a variety of celestial objects. With a full page of information dedicated to each one, author Richard J. Bartlett leads you on a detailed tour of the night sky as he describes over 60 fascinating astronomical denizens that can easily be seen with a small telescope.
Boasting great portability (it even has a built-in carry handle) and sharp optics, the Orion SkyScanner BL102mm TableTop Reflector Kit is an ideal beginner's telescope package capable of providing hours of family fun scanning the cosmos.
- Best for viewing: Brighter deep sky
- User level: Beginner
- Optical design: Reflector
- Optical diameter: 102mm
- Focal length: 640mm
- Focal ratio: f/6.3
- Optics type: Spherical
- Glass material: Soda-lime plate
- Eyepieces: Kellner 25.0mm,Plossl 10.0mm (1.25")
- Magnification with included eyepieces: 26x, 64x
- Resolving power: 1.14arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification: 15x
- Highest useful magnification: 204x
- Highest theoretical magnification: 204x
- Limiting stellar magnitude: 12.7
- Finder scope: Reflex sight
- Focuser: .965"/1.25" Rack-and-pinion
- Secondary mirror obstruction: 31mm
- Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter: 31%
- Secondary mirror obstruction by area: 9%
- Mirror coatings/over-coatings: Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
- Mount type: Dobsonian
- Astro-imaging capability: Simple moon shots
- Tube material: Steel
- Length of optical tube: 21.5 in.
- Weight, fully assembled: 10.4 lbs.
- Other features: Eyepiece rack, adjustable altitude and azimuth tension knobs, center-marked primary mirror for collimation
- Lithium Battery Weight: 0.10 grams