Nikon D810A Astronomy DSLR Camera - Body Only
The First Astronomy Digital SLR Camera from Nikon
The Nikon D810A has been designed specifically for astrophotography. With the typical low-pass infrared and near-infrared filtering removed, the Nikon D810A full color sensor is capable of capturing wavelengths that other traditional DSLR's are not.
Based on Nikon's ultra high-definition camera model, the A810, for the ultimate in image quality. The D810A has an effective pixel count of 36.3 million pixles, utilizing the Nikon FX-format CMOS full-color sensor, and the top of the line image-processing engine and EXPEED 4. Replacing the low-pass filter found in traditional digital SLR cameras, is an optical filter to produce gorgeous, brilliant reds found particularly in H-alpha light emitting nebulae and galaxies.
Also found exclusively on the A810A model is a long-exposure manual mode (M*) which allows for exposure times of up to 15 minutes (900 seconds), and 30 second live preview for exposures longer than 30 seconds for ease of composure and focusing. Inherited from the D810 are the ability to zoom the viewfinder view up to 23x for extremely accurate focusing, an electronic front-curtain shutter that completely eliminates mechanical vibrations, along with a continuous shooting function with no limit on shot number. This is a perfect mode for star trails!
Nikon D810A Body Technical Specifications
- Image Sensor Format: FX
- Storage Media: CompactFlash (CF, Type 1, compliant with UDMA), SD, SDHC, SDXC
- Top Continuous Shooting Speed at Full Resolution: 5 frames/ second
- ISO Sensitivity: ISO 64 - 12,800 Lo-1 (ISO 32), Hi-1 (ISO 25,600), Hi-2 (ISO 51,200)
- Movie Mode: Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 60 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 50 fps , Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 30 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 25 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 24 fps, HD 1,280x720 / 60 fps, HD 1,280x720 / 50 fps
- Monitor Size: 3.2 in. diagonal
- Monitor Type: TFT-LCD
- Battery/ Batteries: EN-EL15 Lithium-ion Battery
- Approximate Dimensions: 5.8 x 4.9 x 3.3 in.
- Approximate Weight: 31.1 oz. (1.94 lbs.) Body Only
- Shutter Type: Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane
- Shutter Speeds Available: 1/8000 to 30 seconds. M* (manual mode) 4,5,8,10,15,20,30,60,120,180, 240, 300, 600, 900 seconds, bulb, and timer.
Nikon D810A Sensor Specifications
- Effecitve Pixels: 36.3 million
- Sensor Size: 35.9 x 24mm
- Image Sensor Format: FX
- Image Sensor Type: CMOS
- Total Pixels: 37.09 million
- Dust Reduction System: Image Sensor Cleaning, Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX 2 software required)
- Dust Off Reference Photo: Yes
- ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200 - 12,800
Image Area (pixels):
- (L) 7,360 x 4,912
- (M) 5,520 x 3,680
- (S) 3,680 x 2,456
- 1:2 format (30 x 20)
- (L) 6,144 x 4,080
- (M) 4,608 x 3,056
- (S) 3,072 x 2,040
- 5:4 format (30 x 24)
- (L) 6,144 x 4,912
- (M) 4,608 x 3,680
- (S) 3,072 x 2,456
- (L) 4,800 x 3,200
- (M) 3,600 x 2,400
Nikon D810A Additional Features
- Camera Type: Single Lens Reflex
- Lens Mount: Nikon F Bayonet Mount
- File Formats Available for Still Images: JPEG with selections for size and image quality, NEF (RAW) lossless compressed, compressed or uncompressed`, TIFF (RGB)
- Viewfinder: Eye-level Pentaprism Single Lens Reflex Viewfinder
- Viewfinder Magnification: .70x Approximately
- Viewfinder Eyepoint: 17mm
- Built In Diopter Adjustment: -3 - +1
- Focusing Screen: Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark VIII with AF Area Brackets (grid lines available)
- Reflex Mirror: Quick-Return Type
- Mirror Lock Up: Yes
- Compatible Lenses: AF NIKKOR G, E and D lenses, PC with some restrictions, DX with a limited image area, AI-P NIKKOR lenses, and non-CPU AI lenses in G and H exposure modes.
Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
What is the pixel size?
The pixel size on the D810a camera is 4.88 microns.