Meade 8" LX200-ACF f/10 Modified SCT Catadioptric OTA Telescope
- 200 mm (8") Aperature
- 2000mm Focal Length
- f/10 Focal Ratio
- Advanced Coma Free Optics
Meade 8" LX200-ACF f/10 Modified SCT Catadioptric OTA Telescope
A traditional RC design is a type of reflector that delivers a coma-free, flat field of view via hyperbolic primary and secondary mirrors. RC telescopes (from a variety of manufacturers) are found in most of the world's top observatories and NASA's Hubble Space Telescope. Because the mirrors in these telescopes have always been very expensive to make, few amateur astronomers could enjoy them. Fortunately, Meade engineers developed a radical new Advanced Coma Free design by combining a hyperbolic secondary mirror with a corrector-lens-and-spherical-primary-mirror combination that performs as one hyperbolic element. This ACF design produces a coma-free, flat field of view that rivals traditional RC telescopes at a fraction of the cost. The design even eliminates diffraction spikes and improves astigmatism, both of which are inherent in the traditional RC design. When reviewing Meade's LX400-ACF Advanced Coma Free, Sky and Telescope magazine said, " [It] does indeed perform like a [RC]. The difference between the off-axis images (compared to a Schmidt-Cassegrain) was dramatic to say the least."
Meade 8" f/10 LX200-ACF Advanced Coma-Free Telescope Features
- f/10 Advanced Coma-Free Optics: Building from a classic RC design, Meade has created a new design with the same coma-free pinpoint star images and flatter field that discerning astrophotographers and most professional observatories have come to expect from classic Ritchey-Chretien optics. Meade's Advanced Coma-Free system also reduces the astigmatism and eliminates diffractions spikes found in classical RCs. The LX200-ACF is the perfect platform for the demanding researcher and imaging enthusiast.
- Meade Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC) increases total light transmission and image brightness by nearly 20% over Meade's standard coatings. Objects such as stars, galaxies and nebulae will appear significantly brighter.
- Primary Mirror Lock locks the mirror in place during long-exposure astrophotography.
- Oversize Primary Mirror diameters are greater than their listed aperture (e.g., the diameter of the 8" LX200-ACF is actually 8.25"). This additional 1/4" yields a wide, fully illuminated field-of-view.
- Coma Killer - What is coma? It's not some sort of astronomical state of unconsciousness. It's an optical aberration. Precisely defined, coma is a distortion in which the image of a star cannot be focused to a point, but takes on the shape of a comet.
- AutoAlign - Telescopes with Meade's AutoAlign come pre-aligned. They are smart scopes that know the night sky right out of the box. AutoAlign picks two fail-proof alignment stars for you and places them right in your view-finder. Just center to fine tune your alignment and the wonders of the universe are at your fingertips.
Why choose the Meade LX200-ACF? Because coma isn't some sort of astronomical state of unconsciousness. It's an optical aberration. Precisely defined, coma is a distortion in which the image of a star cannot be focused to a point, but takes on the shape of a comet. Worst yet, the majority of telescope optical systems, including the popular Schmidt-Cassegrain, have it to one degree or another. Once, you would have had to spend tens of thousands of dollars for an aplanatic optical system (a fancy term for coma-free). Now that Meade has made this Advanced Coma-Free optical system, this level of performance is affordable to the amateur.
The Meade LX200-ACF telescope brings advanced Coma Free optics within reach of aspiring astronomers everywhere. The Meade LX200-ACF combines a revolutionary new optical system with the field-proven mechanical features of the original Meade LX200 - the most widely used research-grade telescope in astronomy today. Dr. Clay Sherrod says: I personally know over 100 amateur astronomers using LX200's out-of-the-box (new ones and old ones) to provide research data to professionals around the world. One friend of mine used his 14" LX200 to discover binary asteroids using light curves. It's remarkable stuff that only the pros could do before.
Advanced Coma-Free Optics (ACF)
Building from a classic RC design, Meade created a new design with coma-free pinpoint star images and flatter field. The ACF design reduces astigmatism and eliminates dffraction spikes found in classical RCs. TheACF is the perfect plattfor for the demanding researcher and imaging enthusiast with telescopes available in aperture of 6-inches, 8-inches,10-inches, 12-inches, 14-inches, and 16-inches
Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC)
Specialized Multi-layered coating that are preciesely designed to improve the performance of your telescopes optics. You'll see brighter star clusters, more fine details in nebulas, and more surface features on planets with UHTC than without. Averaged over the entire visible spectrum, total light transmission to the focus increases by 15%.
- Meade 8" LX-200 F/10 ACF UHTC OTA
QUESTIONS & ANSWERSAsk a Question
Does this OTA come with a dovetail (which kind) and/or any other accessories?
Yes, a Losmandy format dovetail is included with this scope. The dust caps are also included, but other accessories are sold separately.
With any of theMeade ACF scopes do you still use a standard field flattener like a 3.3 one from normal SCT scope? Or is it not neccesary at all? In that case do you end up with an f/8 or f/10 imaging device? Also, does the flat image circle cover a fu
You cannot use the standard f/6.3 or f/3.3 reducers on the ACF scopes. You can, though, use either the Optec Lepus f/6.2 reducer or the Astro-Physics CCDT67 reducer. You can only cover a ful frame DSLR on 10" or larger models with no reducer in place (a
Hi there! Any history info on this used ccd? Thx!
This CCD camera was used on a large telescope in an observatory in New Mexico. The customer sold it to us to finance some other astro-imaging purchases.
hi how much is the shipping wieght and is it easy to connect with after market mount or which mount would you recommend.
Hello and thanks for your question. The Shipping weight for this item is 16lbs. The OTA weighs 14lbs. This telescope can be adapted to essentially any mount. There are various options available for many different purposes. To find the equipment that's bes
Can a Vixen dovetail be bought and attached to the Meade 8"ACF optical tube assembly without disassembling the OTA? Thanks very much.
I would try this dovetail: https://www.optcorp.com/aa-vm8-v-series-dovetail-bars-8inch-meade.html