Meade 16" ACF LX200 Telescope w/ Giant Tripod
Ask Our Telescope Experts
Meade 16" ACF LX200 Telescope w/ Giant Tripod
The most widely used research telescope on earth now comes with the most advanced optical system. Meade's LX200-ACF brings Advanced Coma-Free (ACF) optics within reach of aspiring astronomers everywhere. Nearly every observatory reflector in the world uses an aplanatic (coma-free) optical system like the Ritchey Chretien (RC), including NASA's Hubble Space Telescope. Now you can own similar optics to what the professionals use. The LX200-ACF includes all the field-proven features of the LX200 including GPS, Primary Mirror Lock, Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser, Oversized Primary Mirror, SmartDrive; Smart Mount, AutoStar II and more. Plus, the LX200-ACF comes with observatory-class optics and a Series 5000 26 mm 5-Element Plossl eyepiece. The new LX200-ACF. It's the biggest news in astronomy since, well, the LX200.
A traditional RC design is a type of reflector that delivers a coma-free, flat field of view via hyperbolic primary and secondary mirrors. RC telescopes (from a variety of manufacturers) are found in most of the world's top observatories and NASA's Hubble Space Telescope. Because the mirrors in these telescopes have always been very expensive to make, few amateur astronomers could enjoy them. Fortunately, Meade engineers developed a radical new Advanced Coma Free design by combining a hyperbolic secondary mirror with a corrector-lens-and-spherical-primary-mirror combination that performs as one hyperbolic element. This ACF design produces a coma-free, flat field of view that rivals traditional RC telescopes at a fraction of the cost. The design even eliminates diffraction spikes and improves astigmatism, both of which are inherent in the traditional RC design. When reviewing Meade's LX400-ACF Advanced Coma Free, Sky and Telescope magazine said, " [It] does indeed perform like a [RC]. The difference between the off-axis images (compared to a Schmidt-Cassegrain) was dramatic to say the least."
Meade 16" f/10 LX200-ACF Advanced Coma-Free Telescope Features
- f/10 Advanced Coma-Free Optics: Building from a classic RC design, Meade has created a new design with the same coma-free pinpoint star images and flatter field that discerning astrophotographers and most professional observatories have come to expect from classic Ritchey Chretien optics. Meade's Advanced Coma-Free system also reduces the astigmatism and eliminates diffraction spikes found in classical RCs. The LX200-ACF is the perfect platform for the demanding researcher and imaging enthusiast with telescopes available in apertures of 8 inches, 10 inches, 12 inches, and 16 inches.
- Meade Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTCT) increases total light transmission and image brightness by nearly 20% over Meade's standard coatings. Objects such as stars, galaxies, and nebulae will appear significantly brighter.
- Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser allows you to obtain precise image focus with no image movement.
- Primary Mirror Lock locks the mirror in place during long-exposure astrophotography.
- Oversize Primary Mirror diameters are greater than their listed aperture (e.g., the diameter of the 8" LX200-ACF is actually 8.25"). This additional 1/4" yields a wide, fully illuminated field-of-view.
- Smart Mount constantly refines pointing accuracy each time an object is centered and updated. Compatible with both equatorial and alt-azimuth mounts.
- Coma Killer - What is coma? It's not some sort of astronomical state of unconsciousness. It's an optical aberration. Precisely defined, coma is a distortion in which the image of a star cannot be focused to a point, but takes on the shape of a comet.
- Smart DriveT provides permanent periodic error correction (PPEC) on both axes by learning and averaging error over the course of one or more training periods, thereby minimizing guiding corrections during long-exposure photographs. PPEC is available on both axes and functions in both polar and alt-azimuth modes.
- SonyGPS Receiver Sensor automatically inputs precise time, date, and geographical location to help quickly and precisely align the telescope.
- AutoAlign - Telescopes with Meade's new AutoAlign come pre-aligned.They are smart scopes that know the night sky right out of the box. AutoAlign picks two fail-proof alignment stars for you and places them right in your viewfinder. Just center to fine tune your alignment and the wonders of the universe are at your fingertips.
- AutoStar II controller features "Hot Keys" for quick access to a 145,000 celestial object database. AutoStar II can be updated with the latest software upgrades, guided tours and timely objects like comets.
Why choose the Meade LX200-ACF? Because coma isn't some sort of astronomical state of unconsciousness. It's an optical aberration. Precisely defined, coma is a distortion in which the image of a star cannot be focused to a point, but takes on the shape of a comet. Worst yet, the majority of telescope optical systems, including the popular Schmidt-Cassegrain, have it to one degree or another. Once, you would have had to spend tens of thousands of dollars for an aplanatic optical system (a fancy term for coma-free). Now that Meade has made this Advanced Coma-Free optical system, this level of performance is affordable to the amateur.
The Meade LX200-ACF telescope brings Advanced Coma Free advances within reach of aspiring astronomers everywhere. The Meade LX200-ACF combines a revolutionary new optical system with the field-proven mechanical features of the original Meade LX200 - the most widely used research-grade telescope in astronomy today. Dr. Clay Sherrod says: I personally know over 100 amateur astronomers using LX200's out-of-the-box (new ones and old ones) to provide research data to professionals around the world. One friend of mine used his 14" LX200 to discover binary asteroids using light curves. It's remarkable stuff that only the pros could do before!
Advanced Coma-Free Optics (ACF)
Building from a classic RC design, Meade created a new design with coma-free pinpoint star images and flatter field. The ACF design reduces astigmatism and eliminates dffraction spikes found in classical RCs. TheACF is the perfect plattfor for the demanding researcher and imaging enthusiast with telescopes available in aperture of 6-inches, 8-inches,10-inches, 12-inches, 14-inches, and 16-inches
AutoStar II equipped telescopes contain a database of over 144,000 night sky treasure and is by the larges collection of target in the commercial telescope industry. Telescope equiped with AutoStar II hand controller include features like GoTo Capability, GPS, Smart Mount, Flexure mapping, custome guided tours, and varios other advanced features.
Smart Drive, or permanent periodic error correction, permits a professional level of drive-trate precision. The significant value of the Smart Drive is immediately appreciated during long-exposure astrophotography, where the resultant lower periodic error of the system enables improved tracking while minimizing guide corrections"
Smart Mount improves the pointing accuracy of your telescope "GoTo: system. Despite Careful efforts to reduce mount flexure and improve pointing accuracy, telescopes may still fail to precisely center objects. Smart Mount allows your telescope to learn about, and then correct for, any systematic pointing errors, regardless of the cause. Smart mount is recommended for use with permanently mounted telescopes."
Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC)
Specialized Multi-layered coating that are preciesely designed to improve the performance of your telescopes optics. You'll see brighter star clusters, more fine details in nebulas, and more surface features on planets with UHTC than without. Averaged over the entire visible spectrum, total light transmission to the focus increases by 15%.
|Aperture||406 mm (16")|
|Eyepiece(s)||26mm Series 4000 Super Plossl|
|Finder Included||8 x 50 Optical Finder|
|Focuser||Single Speed Focuser|
|Hand Controller Included||AutoStar II|
|Head Design||Altitude Azimuth|
|Objects in Database||Over 145000|
|Optical Design||Modified SCT|
|OTA Weight||66 lbs.|
|Power Source||(Optional) 12v DC 5 amp Meade Universal Power Supply|
|Software Included||AutoStar Suite|
|Warranty||1 Year Warranty|
- Meade 16" LX200-ACF Telescope
- 8 X 50 Finderscope
- 2" Diagonal with 1.25" Adapter
- #1209 Microfocuser
- 25' AC Power Cord
- AutoStar Suite Astronomer Edition Software
- SuperGiant Field Tripod
- Series 5000 26 mm Plossl Eyepiece
- Operating Instructions
- Foam-Fitted Shipping Box