The iOptron Urban 90 MC90 Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope -with SmartStar CubePro Mount:
Urban Observer series - GOTO telescope systems by iOptron: Living in the city or populated suburb doesn't exclude you from enjoying the night sky. In such environments you need a instrument that can be effective under light-polluted conditions, portable for the times you head to darker skies, and compact for storage in the limited living space generally available in urban dwellings. Understanding these needs, iOptron created the Urban Observer Series telescope mount packages. These portable, easy set-up GOTO observing systems will serve users well living in or near a urban environment.
The Scope: The Urban 90 featuring an iOptron MC90 Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope (90 mm diameter, f/13.3). Mak-Cassegrain scopes are known for very high resolution optics, even comparable to APO refractors at a fraction of the cost. The folded optical design results in a compact instrument optimal for transport and storage. Maksutovs also have a relatively high f-ratio compared to other optical designs, result being a darker background increasing the contrast of a foreground object under less than dark conditions. Less fuss, Maks are low maintenance, the closed tube eliminates the need for mirror cleaning and the Mak-Cassegrain doesn’t require frequent collimation of the optics.
The Mount: Instrument stability is the key to crisp, clear, detailed, views through any telescope. A solid mount that is compact, portable and easy to set-up is a prerequisite for the Urban Observer series. We chose our industry leading CubePro GOTO Altitude- Azimuth mounts as the vehicles of support for Urban 90. The CubePro mounts have the same reliable GOTO and tracking functions as found in more cumbersome German equatorial counterparts however they are a fraction of the size and weight. On top of the size advantage, iOptron's Alt-Az mounts do not require polar alignment and can be set up to track and GOTO without a view of the celestial pole (i.e. a tall building in the way).
The new CubePro mount in Urban 90 series has a completely redesigned electronics and firmware while keeping the simplicity and sturdy of the original CubePro mount. The new features including:
The other features include:
- All new electronics.
- Super quiet tracking.
- 8408 Go2Nova hand controller with AA/EQ dual operation.
- Large database with 150,000+ objects.
- Fully computer controllable using latest iOptron Commander and ASCOM.
- Attaches to a camera tripod with 3/8-inch thread (or ¼ thread via a converter).
- Wireless control with optional StarFi Wi-Fi adapter.
Grab 'N Go Alt-Azimuth mount – The CubePro: the only mount of its kind for ultimate rotation.
- Metal worms and ring gears.
- 8-pounds payload for various scopes and cameras, with 3.1-pound mount head.
Go2Nova 8408 hand controller with Advanced GOTONOVA GOTO Technology.
- 150,000+ object database with 60 user-defined objects.
- Large LCD screen with 4 lines and 21-characters hand control with backlit LED buttons.
- Dual-axis servomotor with optical encoder.
- 9 speed for precise mount moving control.
- Built-in 32-channel Global Positioning System (GPS).
- Alt-Azimuth/equatorial (AA/EQ) dual operation (need a wedge for EQ operation).
- Vixen-type dovetail saddle.
- 3-pound counterweight and stainless steel CW shaft included.
- Operate on 8 AA batteries (not included).
- 3/8-inch threads to fit on camera mount.
- 100~240V AC power adapter included, optional 12V DC adapter (#8418) available.
- Serial port for firmware upgrade and computer control.
- Latest ASCOM and iOptron Commander for mount remote control.
- RS232-RJ9 serial cable for firmware upgrade and computer control.
- Sturdy 1.25-inch stainless steel tripod.
- Optional product-#8434 StarFi WiFi adapter #8434 for mount wireless control.