CELESTRON TRAVEL SCOPE 80MM WITH BACKPACK
Navigate the sky with a pan handle Alt-Az control with clutch for smooth and accurate pointing on the all new Celestron Travel Scope 80mm with Backpack. Move the clutch in an up/down, left/right fashion to track your object in the eyepiece.
OPTICAL TUBE INFO:
- Optical Design: Refractor
- Aperture: 80 mm (3.1")
- Focal Length: 400 mm (15.74")
- Focal Ratio: f/5
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 1: 20 mm (0.78")
- Magnification of Eyepiece 1: 20x
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 2: 10 mm (0.4")
- Magnification of Eyepiece 2: 40x
- Finderscope: 5x24
- Star Diagonal: Erect Image, 45° (1.25")
- Optical Tube: Aluminum
- Highest Useful Magnification: 189x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 11x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 12
- Resolution (Rayleigh): 1.74 arc seconds
- Resolution (Dawes): 1.45 arc seconds
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye): 131x
- Optical Coatings: Coated glass optics
- Optical Tube Length: 457.2 mm (18")
- Optical Tube Weight: 2.4 lbs (1134")
- Dovetail: Vixen/CG-5
- Mount Type: Manual Alt Azimuth
- Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod): 558.8 mm - 1320.8 mm (22"-52")
- Tripod Leg Diameter: 1.25" aluminum
- Accessory Tray: Yes
- Slew Speeds: Manual
- Tripod Weight: 1.8 lbs (816.46 g)
- Dovetail Compatibility: Vixen/CG-5 saddle plate
- Software: Starry Night Basic Edition, SkyPortal App
- Total Telescope Kit Weight: 4.5 lbs (2041.16 g)
- Included Accessories: Optical tube | Mount/tripod (preassembled) | 20 mm eyepiece | 10 mm eyepiece | Erect image diagonal | 5x24 finderscope | Smartphone adapter | SkyPortal app | Starry Night Basic edition | Manual | Backpack to store scope and accessories
The Travel Scope 80 comes with two eyepieces (20mm and 10mm), erect image diagonal, finderscope, a smartphone adapter, and a travel backpack. The two eyepieces offer different magnifications to view your intended object. The erect image diagonal allows for right-side-up viewing ideal for terrestrial subjects but can also be used for celestial objects. The permanently mounted red dot finderscope will help you quickly center an object in your eyepiece for easier observing.
Smartphone Adapter – Image celestial or terrestrial objects with this smartphone adapter. With its light, rigid frame, this accessory allows you to connect any smartphone to any telescope eyepiece with an outside diameter of 45 mm or smaller. The additional magnification provided by the eyepiece allows your phone to capture great images of the Moon and planets. This smartphone adapter installs easily by clamping over the top of an eyepiece. The smartphone is held in position with the help of tightening knobs that securely lock your phone in place. Some large and/or bulky phone cases (including folio style cases) may need to be removed for the phone to fit in the adapter.
Travel Backpack – A custom backpack comes with your telescope for you to store your optical tube, tripod, eyepieces and accessories comfortably.
Starry Night Software
Download Celestron’s Starry Night Software and learn about the night sky, celestial objects, and how to plan your next observing session. Celestron Starry Night Software is the premier astronomy software package on the market, providing resources and knowledge to view our solar system and beyond.
|Aperture||80 mm (3.25")|
|Camera/Eyepiece Connection||1.25" Nosepiece|
|Dawes Limit||1.45 arcseconds|
|Focal Length||400 mm|
|Light Gathering Power||131x|
|Tube Weight||2.4 lbs|
Function and ability of the Celestron 80mm travel scope
Within the limitations of the scope it performed adequately to excellently. It works well for the Moon and early morning Venus, and Jupiter and Saturn. Now obviously, the image is not going to be as large at 80mm(3.1inches) as it would be through my larger 11" SCT/Celestron, but its easier to transport too, over the 200lb 11." I would advise anyone buying one, to replace the plastic tube crosshair finder scope with any brand of "RED DOT" type, it will greatly enhance your ability to align the scope on target and stay in place. It is possible to do astrophotography with this scope, using a ZWO ASI-120 camera and an iOptron "SKY TRACKER PRO" (camera mount). The Sky Tracker allows one to get "POLAR aligned" critical for photography, and the light weight of the Travel Scope (only 4.5lbs.) makes all this possible, however you'll need an extension tube for the focuser to reach prime focus before you run out of gear rack on the focuser. Orion makes one that is affordable. The only other up grade I'd recommend would be to get a sturdier and more stable tripod than the one supplied, this will help the Sky Tracker mount to be far more stable for the entire assembly. For the $$ and a few minor up-grades, this is a pretty good scope for beginner or advanced user, keeping in mind its limitations.