- A 203 mm (8-inch) Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope on a CGEM-II Mount!
- A Focal Ratio of f/10
- Easy Set-up
- Internal Cables
- Uninterrupted tracking across the Meridian
- Smooth & Quite Operation
Celestron CGEM-II 800 Computerized Telescope
The CGEM-II 800 Telescope by Celestron is a 203 mm (8-Inch) Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope on a CGEM-II MountSome 40 years ago, Celestron founder - Tom Johnson - introduced the first Celestron C8 telescope into the amateur astronomy market and began a revolution. Now, Celestron's CGEM-II-800 takes performance to a new level beginning with the extreme optical quality of the 203 mm (8-Inch) Schmidt-Cassegrain combined with Starbright XLT coatings mounted on Celestron's newly engineered and innovative CGEM-II mount. This new take on a tried-and-true design has given the world another Celestron classic - one capable of carrying the load securely and vibration free... and taking both astroimaging and visual observing to new heights.
With a telescope capable of gathering 843x more light than the human eye, the precise f/10 optics of the Celestron C8 SCT offer up an incredible .57 arc seconds of resolution spread out over a 0.62 deg angular field of view. With a limiting magnitude factor of 14 and a practical magnification limit of 480x, we're talking about a telescope able to deliver remarkable planetary and lunar views. When sky permits, you can expect to see details like delicate divisions in Saturn's ring structure, details on Mars and follow Jupiter events like shadow transits and Great Red Spot appearances with ease. Star clusters will transform into well-resolved facets, galaxies will take on some structure and difficult double stars will yield their companions. With a low-end magnification limit of 29x, just add a wide field eyepiece, or open both eyes wide with Celestron Stereo Binocular Viewers and enjoy panoramic vistas of extended nebulae and sweep the heavens for every last photon!
What sets the 8-inch Celestron CGEM-II apart from competitor models is simplicity and durability. The 8-inch CGEM-II was designed to be ergonomically friendly with large Altitude and Azimuth adjustment knobs for quick and easy procedures and adjustments. The intuitive All-Star system allows users to choose any bright star from the NexStar hand control, while the software calculates and assists with polar alignment. Then, just kick back and enjoy. The CGEM-II-800 database will provide over 40,000 objects, 100 user defined programmable objects and enhanced information on over 200 objects for your celestial viewing pleasure.
But it's more than just to "GoTo" functions which will make the Celestron CGEM-II 800 SCT telescope one of the most worthy optical investments you'll ever consider... It's the design qualities which make this telescope last that count. Unlike less expensive models, the Celestron CGEM Schmidt-Cassegrain mechanism that moves the primary mirror to adjust focus is supported by two pre-loaded ball bearings, minimizing the "mirror flop" typical of bushing focus mechanisms. There's nothing to get dragged or snagged during set-up or transportation because the RA and Dec motor wiring is all internal. The drive incorporates a low cog DC Servo motor with integrated optical encoders which ensure smooth, quiet operation and long life... the motor armatures are skewed to minimize cogging which is required for low-speed tracking. Precision machined 40 mm diameter steel polar shafts are supported by multiple tapered roller bearings and ball bearings while the mount utilizes a steel worm gear and 90 mm pitch diameter brass worm wheel. Even a secure power plug is employed, so the mount's 12V DC 1.5 Amp power source can't be accidentally disconnected. The Celestron CGEM-II-800 comes equipped with a car battery adapter, but you'll find this telescope so fascinating you might just want to add an AC adapter or Celestron Power Tank, too! Furthermore, the dual plate design allows you to choose between the CGE-Pro or CG-5 style dovetails, meaning that you can freely utilize a much wider range of scopes and accessories in conjunction with this mount!
Still more? Then consider the many features that make the Celestron CGEM-II a "gem" for astrophotography, too. It can be as simple as adding a Celestron NexImage Solar System Imager to the CGEM-II-800 or even just adapting a digital camera. Not only will it track well past the meridian for uninterrupted imaging through the most ideal part of the sky, but the Permanent Periodic Error Correction (PPEC) will allow users to train out the worm gears periodic errors, while the mount retains the PEC recordings. Autoguide port and auxiliary ports are conveniently located on the electronic plate for long exposure astrophotography and include a designated six-pin RJ-12 modular jack and ST-4 compatible guide port. You'll find an RS-232 communication port on hand control to control the telescope via a personal computer and NexRemote telescope control software, for advanced control. Software features include; mount calibration, database filter limits, hibernate, five alignment procedures, and user-defined slew limits. What's even better is that it's all flash upgradeable. Just connect to the Internet to update your hand control software and motor control units. You can even add an optional Celestron GPS unit!
The Celestron CGEM-II 800 carries on the Celestron C8 tradition of performance, durability, and value. Major colleges and universities worldwide use Celestron telescopes in their astronomy programs and the Celestron telescope line has been chosen over all competing models by NASA to be taken on several Spaceshuttle research missions. Why not add a Celestron SkyScout to the fun? Carry on the trend started by the 2009 International Year of Astronomy with Celestron and bring that kind of quality home to your backyard tonight...
Celestron CGEM-II 800 Telescope Features
- Double line, 16-character liquid crystal display hand control with 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons for easy operation of GoTo features.
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable star; solar systems; objects and asterisms.
- Included star diagonal provides more comfortable viewing position when observing objects that are high in the sky.
- 6x30 Finderscope and 25 mm Eyepiece and Car Battery Adapter help to complete your observing needs.
- Ultra-sturdy 2-inch leg diameter adjustable height steel tripod with secure locking mechanisms, tipped ends and captive central accessory tray.
- Computerized equatorial mount offers nine slew speeds: 5 arc/sec, 2 arc/sec, 1 arc/sec, 64x, 16x, 8x, 4x, 1x, .5x, EQ North and EQ South tracking modes and Sidereal, Solar and Lunar tracking rates.
- Five available alignment procedures: 2-Star Align, Quick Align, 1-Star Align, Last Alignment, Solar System Align with a software precision of 24bit, 0.08 calculation.
- Software Features include: Mount Calibration, Database Filter Limits, Hibernate, and user-defined slew limits - all flash upgradeable for downloading product updates over the Internet.
OPT Product Number: CE-12010
- Celestrons 203 mm (8-Inch) Schmidt Cassegrain OTA
- CGEM-II 800 Mount (Computerized German Equatorial Mount)
- Adjustable Tripod with 2-inch Steel tube legs
- Accessory Tray
- Programmable Hand Controller
- 6x30 Optical Finder
- 1.25-inch Eyepiece, 25 mm, 81x mag.
- 1.25-inch Star Diagonal
- (1) Counterweight, 17 pounds, locking
- DC Cigarette Lighter Adapter
- NexRemote CD ROM Software
- 2 Year Warranty
Questions & AnswersAsk a Question
Is it made in China or US?
There are a majority of components manufacturered overseas as well as parts made in the US. Final assembly of these units is performed in Celestrons Domestic facilities.