The Astronomik ProPlanet 642 BP Clip-Filter Nikon XL:
This Nikon XL Clip Filter is designed for the full-frame bodies from Nikon:
The filters sit securely and tension-free in the camera.Assembly and disassembly are easy with your finger, without tools!No changes to the camera are required to use the filters.
It fits: It doesn't fit: It looks like this:
The clip filters are optimized for use with normal camera lenses and for use on a telescope.Because of the narrow bayonet and light well, the filters cause minimal additional shading for some optics, which unfortunately cannot be avoided.
- The XL clip filters for Nikon have been tested with the models D750, D800, D810 and D850
- For the D850, you can only use manual focus lenses or a T-adapter (with a telescope). With AF lenses you will get an error message and the camera will not work.
(Workaround for this: With AF lenses on the D850 you can apply some tape over the lens contacts and the camera will work fine with the XL-Clip Filter installed.)
- Other bodies have not been tested yet.
- The Nikon XL-Clip will not work with cameras with APS-C sized sensors and not with the new mirrorless body. Clip-Filter for the APS-C sized models will be released in the near future.
The Astronomik ProPlanet 642 BP is a thrilling addition to the IR-pass filter line because of its wide-ranging capabilities for daylight Infrared-Photography, high-res lunar and planetary imaging, and deep-space H-alpha regions for astrophotography.
This filter gives a 200 nm spectral window from 642 nm to 842 nm while blocking the longer infrared wavelengths. This is essentially three filters in one!
Depending on your camera, the Astronomik ProPlanet 642 BP is a great tool for daylight IR-imaging with your digital camera or just as a reduction of seeing effects and contrast enhancement in lunar/planetary imaging. This is a great item to get started in Deep-Sky Astrophotography of H-alpha regions.
- Contrasting images with great color rendition
- Clear "Wood-Effect" images
- No hot-spots from longer IR!
- Short exposure times about the same as normal VIS-imaging
- Perfect choice for Infrared-Videos
High-resolution lunar and planetary imaging:
- Short exposure times
- Effective reduction of poor seeing
- Enhanced contrast
- No ghosts (light haziness) and excellent sharpness
Deep-Sky Astrophotography of HII regions:
- Best transmission of the H-alpha line at 656nm
- About 40 nm FWHM with astro-modified DSLRs
- Amazing contrast under light-polluted skies or moonlight